Academic Designer/Web Developer
The Academic Designer/ Web Developer will help create compelling, web-based education experiences, help users take advantage of various software and cloud based systems, and design user experiences at both micro and macro levels inside the eLearning ecosystem. The Academic Designer/Web Developer will create effective experiences inside of "Lions SHARE" - the Saint Leo University learning platform, providing design consulting, UI/UX help, and connected experiences for all user levels. The Academic Designer/Web Developer will be responsible for developing system-wide content for delivery in the learning platform, and the work will span Saint Leo's entire modality offerings; face-to-face, hybrid, fully online learning, etc. This position reports to the Assistant Vice President of Learning Design and has no direct reports.
- Learning (instructional) design, course design, and web design to create compelling on-line experiences that support and enhance learning throughout the organization and in alignment with the pedagogical mission and core values of the university.
- Develop functional and appealing web- and mobile-based learning experiences based on usability, including course and website maintenance, enhancements, etc.
- Use various markup languages to create web pages, including cascading style sheets (CSS) that are consistent across all browsers and platforms.
- Write functional requirement documents and specifications for ongoing maintenance and "plug and play" options.
- Build wireframes, mockups, and prototypes of user experiences on tight timelines.
- Assist back-end developers, based on front-end issues, with coding and troubleshooting as needed.
- Create and continue graphic standards (including branding) throughout the courses and integrated platform.
- Look for opportunities to innovate, incorporating emerging technologies, processes, and paradigms in the existing frameworks.
- Promote usability best practices, including knowledge of 508 compliance.
- Assist in maintaining existing course content, and work with large user groups to assure their success in the use of the learning platform.
- Responsible for web portal design and content management for both the public web and internal, academic systems.
- Help create hyper-immersive courses leveraging gaming, simulation, and other platforms.
- Maintain a load of development, design, and redesign projects across various contexts (learning, public facing, etc).
- Work closely with other team members to ensure efficiency, effectiveness, and a healthy team culture.
- Familiarity with visualizations of data and strategies for best ways by which to see and send analytic information on the web to various constituents / stakeholders.
- Help foster a positive culture within Learning Design of collaboration, collegiality, innovation, and product excellence.
- Work in partnership with departments and programs to support web strategies and initiatives.
- Potentially participate on strategic initiatives related to, but not limited to, content, learning innovation, teaching strategies, and assessment effective practices.
- Represent Saint Leo University Learning Design at meetings and conferences and encourage other team members to do the same.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience. Formal education in eLearning development and design is preferred.
- Experience building and/or maintaining websites, including integrations to and from other sites.
- Experience in creating courses for student audiences.
- Experience in creating eLearning courses across multiple modalities.
- Knowledge of adult web design and adult learning principles and best practices.
- Experience interacting with anLMS.
- Adept with appropriate development tools.
- Understanding of the entire web development process, including design, development and deployment
- Knowledge of and experience in using course management systems, multimedia tools and authoring software
- Knowledge and understanding of trends in higher education, such as distance learning, adaptive learning, competency-based education, use of open education resources (OER), etc.
- Excellent social, interpersonal, and communication skills
- Strong leadership and organizational skills
- Skills in web portal design, use of widgets, social media experience, creation, and maintenance, including rich content and interactive features
- Successful track record of planning and executing successful projects
- Demonstrated alignment to Saint Leo University's core values of excellence, respect, integrity, stewardship, community and personal development.
- Proven ability to organize and lead by example
- Pro-active approach to problem solving, constraints, and issues
- Positive attitude and the ability to encourage the same from team members
- Ability to work with business leaders in all areas to translate learning goals and objectives into compelling on-line instruction.
Job ID 2017-1515
Job Locations US-FL-Saint Leo