Communications Specialist (Part-Time)
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
Department of Medicine
Communications Specialist (Part-Time)
Position # 00002441 - Requisition 10508
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The Department of Medicine has an opening for a part-time University Staff (unclassified) Communications Specialist position.
The Department of Medicine, with 15 Divisions, almost 750 faculty, 172 residents and 113 fellows, is one of the largest departments in the University of Colorado School of Medicine. This position will lead the communications efforts for internal and external audiences and coordinates with other entities including the School of Medicine communications office, Development, and the Community-Campus Partnership. The Specialist will coordinate with the two hospitals on the Anschutz Medical Campus - University of Colorado Hospital and Children's Hospital Colorado - and other organizations as needed.
This part-time (0.5 FTE) position will be based on the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus in Aurora.
The Communications Specialist will possess communications skills including writing, social media and personal interaction. Detailed understanding of Web site management is not required.
The Communications Specialist, working with Department leadership, will identify key themes for the Department, identify stories or developments that capture those themes, and find outlets internally and externally for those stories. A key part of the Communications Specialist's job will be to think strategically and creatively about internal (faculty-oriented) communications, especially with regard to culture-building and change management. Experience in internal communications, employee communications, and/or culture change will be an advantage.
The Communications Specialist will plan, write and produce a monthly e-newsletter and an annual report, in addition to other documents as needed; maintain and enhance the Department's social media presence; produce regular feature-type news content; work with news media and coordinate with the School of Medicine Communications Director and campus news units; support the Chair in communications and other roles as needed; support Division heads as time and priorities allow; and build bridges with Development and community-focused groups. The Communications Specialist will also take on key planning roles for the Department's major annual events, including a research symposium, a State of the Department address, and a faculty recognition/awards event.
The Communications Specialist will coordinate with other communications offices, including the CU Anschutz Medical Campus communications team, the School of Medicine Communications Director, the CU social media director, CU Advancement, and other units.
The Communications Specialist will have primary responsibility for updating and improving the Department's website, adding multimedia content where appropriate, and using web analytics to continually improve site functionality.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- A bachelor's degree in marketing, journalism, public relations, communications, or a directly related field from an accredited institution and 2 years of professional level experience in communications or advertising/marketing.
- Substitution: A combination of education and related technical/paraprofessional experience may be substituted for the bachelor's degree on a year for year basis, but not towards the specific experience.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office; Associated Press style; interviewing and writing.
- Proficiency with graphic design tools/software.
- Experience in an academic and/or scientific setting
- Experience working in multi-cultural setting
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
- Curious, inventive and willing to learn
- Able to work in complex environments
- Strong story-telling ability in various forms (traditional newsletter to Facebook to images) Strong editing ability
- Ability to use information in compelling ways to support core themes Comfort with various forms of media
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to explain complex topics in simple terms Understanding of news media
- Demonstrated communication skill in a professional setting
- Demonstrated creativity and problem-solving skills
- Ability to innovate and collaborate
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers * REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A cover letter/letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2) A current resume/CV. 3) List of 3-5 professional references. Questions should be directed to Ethan Hagen at Ethan.Hagen@ucdenver.edu.
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 3-5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Communication
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20153 - SOM-MED Administration
Posting Date: Jul 28, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Ethan Hagen
Posting Contact Email: Ethan.Hagen@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00002441