CIRES/NIDIS Communication Coordinator
CIRES and the National Integrated Drought Information System (NIDIS) seek an engaging communicator to strategize and implement external and internal communications for multiple audiences across the nation. The Communications Coordinator (CC) fullls a critical role in the implementation of NIDIS, a federal multi-agency partnership that coordinates drought monitoring, forecasting, and planning and information at national, state, and local levels. Its mission is to help the nation to move to a more proactive approach to managing drought risks and impacts, and to improve long-term drought resilience. The NIDIS program is part of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). This position is based at NOAA's David Skaggs Research Center in Boulder, Colorado. Some out-of-state travel is required.
The CC helps lead the effort to create and promote content on drought-related research, ideas, news and events. S/he will conceptualize, write, design and edit drought-related information and materials for NIDIS that effectively describe and promote the program, appealing to decision makers, the general public, technical experts, and the media.
This information must engage these audiences visually as well as via written materials, as appropriate to the subject matter, with careful attention to tone and accuracy.
Specic tasks include ongoing creation of news items for the U.S. Drought Portal (drought.gov, the NIDIS website), developing branding materials, utilizing social media and other forms of outreach, creating an annual report, and working with regional program coordinators to organize, refresh and implement locally relevant information.
The CC works closely with the NIDIS Web Content and Development Coordinator, whose work focuses on the U.S. Drought Portal. Together, the Web Content Coordinator and CC will develop and implement a comprehensive plan for NIDIS internal and external communications, incorporating input from NIDIS Program Ofce staff, the web development team, regional information coordinators, and partners nationwide. The comprehensive communications strategy will describe and promote the NIDIS program on multiple platforms, using fresh ideas and an innovative approach.
• Spearheading development of NIDIS internal and external communications strategy
• Creating, organizing, editing, and updating written and visual material that promotes NIDIS objectives, using multiple platforms
• Summarizing technical information in easy-to-grasp formats, including infographics
• Coordinating content planning and execution with colleagues and partners, including facilitation of timely and appropriate review practices
• Reviewing, reconceptualizing, and updating regional information about drought related to NIDIS's eight regional Drought Early Warning Systems
• Developing branding materials and communications outreach package
• Utilizing NIDIS social media accounts and other means of engagement to expand current audiences and attract new ones
• Responding to public and media inquiries
Minimum qualications and requirements:
• Ten years' professional experience as a verbal/visual communicator, showing a range of formats and approaches
• B.A. or B.S. in journalism, communications, technical writing, information management, digital media, marketing or related degree
• Excellent project management skills, with the ability to manage multiple projects and re-prioritize on the y
• Demonstrated ability to render technical information into an understandable and appealing narrative and/or visual presentation, while retaining accuracy of the information
• Professional experience designing documents, layouts, infographics, and other materials
• Expertise in using plain language, and the ability to edit others' writing to reect the same
• Creative approach in generating story ideas and planning coverage over the long term as well as in response to developing events
• Strict attentiveness to detail and vigilance about accuracy
• Proven track record coordinating and collaborating productively with all partners, local and remote
• Active and innovative use of social media in a professional capacity
• Professional experience using Google Apps, Microsoft Ofce Suite, Constant Contact or similar e-mail marketing program
Additional qualications which will strengthen the application:
• Professional experience in Web design and development
• Demonstrated professional multimedia experience (video, podcast, photography, other)
• Professional experience with any/all of the following: Drupal 7 and Drupal 8, Adobe Creative Suite, Google Analytics
Special Instructions to Applicants:The University of Colorado Boulder conducts background checks on all final applicants being considered for employment, prior to the issuance of an offer letter. The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to providing a safe and productive learning, living and working community. To achieve this goal, we conduct background investigations for all final applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and an EPLS (Excluded Parties List System) check. The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work.
The University of Colorado is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, the University of Colorado does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation or political philosophy in its programs or activities, including employment, admissions, and educational programs. Inquiries may be directed to the Boulder Campus Title IX Coordinator by calling 303-492-2127. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, alternative formats of this ad can be provided upon request for individuals with disabilities by contacting Human Resources at email@example.com.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References, Unofficial transcript(s), Additional Attachments - Refer to Application Materials Instructions Below
Application Materials Instructions:Applicants must complete the Faculty/University Staff and EEO Data (application) form, and upload the following required documents: 1 - Cover Letter; 2 - Resume; 3 - The document uploaded for Proof of Degree can be a Transcript which shows the date the degree was conferred; Copy of Diploma; or official letter from the Registrar or the Dean of the School or College conferring the degree; 4 -3 references with all contact information; 5- Three writing samples, demonstrating a variety of approaches to a variety of audiences & Three multi-media or other presentations which do not rely on written words as the primary means of communication This position is eligible for medical, dental and life insurance, retirement benefits programs, and is eligible for monthly vacation and sick leave accruals.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10080 - Coop Inst Res/Envrm Sci - Dir
Posting Date: Jul 28, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Position Number: 00606662