Cascade Gym Administrative/Instructional Support
Cascade Gym Administrative/Instructional Support
Portland Community College
Requisition Number: 09112
Location: Cascade Campus
Address: 705 N Killingsworth Street, Portland, OR
Hours of Work: Other
Position Status: Classified; Level 16; Full-time; Non-exempt
Starting Salary Range: $2,779 to $2,838 per month
Job Close Date: Apply Immediately; This position will close once sufficient qualified applications have been received
12pm to 9pm Monday to Friday - Fall, Winter, Spring Terms
9am to 8pm Monday to Thursday - Summer Term
The Cascade Campus Gym IST 2 has three essential roles. First, overseeing the operation of the front desk which is the gateway to the gym. This includes training, scheduling and supervising the work study students that staff the front desk, checking out equipment and providing relevant information to students, staff, instructors and the general public. Second, supporting instruction at the gym. This includes preparing gym classrooms and spaces for instruction, maintaining/repairing equipment and assisting instructors as needed. Third, supporting functions/events at the gym. This position supports the planning and implementation of a variety of events, games and activities held at the gym. This is regularly an afternoon/evening position. Hours may vary throughout the academic year including some early mornings and weekends.
PCC offers a comprehensive benefit package designed to provide employees and their families, including domestic partners, with a access to a broad range of benefit options.
Includes Health, Dental, and Vision options, Group Life, Auto and Home Insurance. Retirement and tax deferred 403B plans.
Starts at 6.67 hours of Vacation leave per month (additional vacation hours with years of service)
8 hours of Sick Leave per month
24 hours of additional Personal Leave days per year
11 Paid Holidays
Additionally, PCC provides a tuition waiver for yourself, domestic partner, and children under 24 years of age. Tuition reimbursement for yourself at other accredited institutions.
For a complete list of PCC benefits please copy and paste the following link into another browser http://www.pcc.edu/hr/benefits/
Oversees the operation of the front desk at the gym; including ensuring authorized people are entering the gym; checking out equipment, towels, supplies and materials to students and staff; maintains records of locker use; over the telephone or in person provides students, staff, instructors and public with information relating to specific programs; may take messages for students or instructors who are working in the area; may copy materials for distribution for students.
Oversees the work of student/casual employees at the front desk; coordinates their activities in support of the instructional goals; trains them in appropriate technical aspects of their work; may keep records for pay purposes.
Prepares gym/PE classrooms/spaces for instructional use as required by established protocols, course outlines or faculty direction; may assist the instructor in the classroom/laboratory.
Acquires, maintains and inventories gym/PE equipment, materials, supplies, and written materials required for student instructional needs (including signage, schedules and posters.) Performs repairs on gym/PE equipment and/or maintains contact with appropriate vendors to facilitate repairs.
Provides for the general cleanliness and security of the laboratory or work area; disposes of hazardous materials according to specific instructions relating to their disposal; assists in providing for a safe environment for the conduct of the laboratory. Reports maintenance problems as they occur.
Maintains records of activities undertaken in support of PE courses which may include typing forms, processing faculty sub forms, inputting data or otherwise retaining information regarding the acquisition, maintenance and distribution of tools, equipment, materials, supplies, and/or written materials.
Supports the implementation of Major Events/Activities held at the gym.
In the online application's Education/Employment History sections, include jobs, duties, and dates that support all of the following qualifications. The information on the resume/cover letter will not substitute for the completed application.
High school diploma or equivalent and two years of post-secondary education in a specific technical discipline appropriate to the instructional support (experience performing the duties described above may substitute for the post-secondary education requirement on a year-for-year basis).
One year of experience supporting activities in the technical area (sports support/administration) is required; Must have proven communications skills adequate to assist students in understanding the work they are to perform.
Work pressure, disturbances of work flow and/or irregularities in work schedule are expected and occur on an intermittent basis. Changes in the performance environment require occasional upgrading of skills. Working conditions may be somewhat disagreeable requiring occasional exposure to safety hazards, noise and temperature.
Some learned physical skills are required. Physical effort such as frequent standing, walking and lifting; guiding and/or carrying of lightweight materials or equipment; occasional periods of sustained effort.
1) Experience training, scheduling, coordinating, and supervising student employees.
2) Knowledge of administrative support functions, office practices and student learning environment settings; ability to work cooperatively and creatively to perform tasks necessary for efficient operation of the center.
3) Experience working in a fitness, gym or physical education environment. Including maintaining, repairing and procuring fitness/gym equipment and supplies.
4) Accomplished in use of technology, data management and creative media.
5) Evidence of professionalism, excellent communication skills and a strong record of flexibility and reliability.
6) Experience interacting thoughtfully and courteously with students, employees and the general public in a culturally competent manner.
7) Experience resolving conflicts between diverse individuals in a professional manner.
Additional Posting Information:
Additional Posting Information:
To apply for this position you must submit:
1. Completed responses to the Required Questions from the Committee - scroll down to see "Required Questions" below - (Attach document)*
2. Completed online application
3. Cover Letter (attach document)*
4. Current Resume (attach document)*
* When you apply for the position, you will be given an opportunity to attach the above documents. They may be attached in either "Microsoft Word" or ".pdf" formats.
- Applicants selected for hire will be required to pass a criminal background check as a condition of employment.
- This position is included in the bargaining agreement between Portland Community College and the Portland Community College Federation of Classified Employees (PCCFCE). Employment in this position will require, as a condition of employment, payment of monthly union dues or a monthly fair share fee in lieu of dues through automatic payroll deduction. Probationary period will be in accordance with Article 13 of the Classified Agreement. Current Classified employees are encouraged to review Article 15 for salary placement guidelines.
- Portland Community College will hire only United States citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States. All new employees will be required to complete the designated Immigration Service Employers Verification I-9 form.
- As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.
Documents that must be associated with this posting:
Responses to Required Questions
Documents which can be associated with this posting:
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
How to Apply
For complete job description and application instructions, visit: jobs.pcc.edu
As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.