About Mills College:
Located in the foothills of Oakland, California, in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, Mills College is a nationally renowned independent liberal arts college for women with graduate programs for women and men. Since 1852, weve been empowering students to become creative, independent thinkers who take and inspire action. For more information, visit http://www.mills.edu/.
Reports to: Executive Assistant to the Dean of Students
Supervises: Student workers
Summary of Position:
Under the direction of the Executive Assistant to the Dean of Students, serve as primary receptionist and provide operations and office assistance in support of the Division of Student Life (DSL). This position advances the effectiveness of DSL services provided to the campus and Mills students, while ensuring that Division goals and operations are upheld and executed in an effective, up to date, culturally affirming, student-centered, and accurate manner. Given the sensitive nature of clinical information managed DSL and in particular our Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS), the ability to maintain strict confidentiality, according to relevant professional and legal standards, is crucial. In addition, this position is required to perform non-routine assignments and handle problems as they arise in a highly confidential manner.
Essential Job Functions:
- Responsibility for the front desk coverage and primary staffing as well as supervising, training, and hiring student staff for supplemental coverage.
- Greet, screen and direct students, faculty, staff, family members, Mills community members and visitors to appropriate staff and departments; provide general information or direct visitors to appropriate offices, always providing excellent customer service as well as supporting student employees to this end.
- Work closely with Director of Counseling and Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) staff to facilitate daily administrative operations for CAPS. This includes: checking in students for appointments, providing information about CAPS services, scheduling appointments, handling confidential information for data entry and referral using electronic medical records system.
- Connect students presenting in various crisis situations with the appropriate staff including clinical staff within CAPs.
- Perform a variety of administrative work as assigned including posting and maintaining records, creating and maintaining files, typing and duplicating materials; receive, sort and distribute mail and prepare mailings as assigned; assist other DSL staff with a variety of clerical duties.
- Schedule appointments and meetings as requested
- Operate and maintain a variety of office equipment including computer, copier, fax, multi-line phone system and other office machines.
- Daily opening and closing of the building, securing materials and equipment.
- Establish and maintain an effective customer service orientation towards all personnel contacted during the course of job performance.
- Establish and maintain effective and productive working relationships while working in a diverse and multicultural environment.
- Supervision of front desk student workers including hiring, trainings, and evaluations
- Maintain supply inventory for various office machines and functions: checking stock to determine inventory level, anticipating needed supplies, placing and expediting orders for supplies and verifying receipt of supplies.
- Participate in Division meetings and committees for project planning and direction setting.
- Perform related duties as needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Operation of multi-line phone system
- Telephone techniques and etiquette
- Office practices, procedures and equipment
- Record keeping procedures
- Microsoft Office suite
- Customer Service
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience, and courtesy.
- Excellent written, oral and organizational skills with attention to detail.
- Problem-solving skills, resourcefulness, ability to think creatively.
- Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy and confidentiality concerning student files and information.
- Time management skills and the ability to handle multiple projects requiring independent execution.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written directions, work independently under pressure and deadlines.
- Highly organized, with strong attention to detail.
- Ability to learn new computer software such as Titanium Scheduler, BANNER, etc.
- Knowledge of and ability to operate copier and various office machinery
- Emotionally mature and able to keep calm under pressure
- Two years of general clerical experience in an office setting preferred
- Some supervision experience preferred.
- Experience with Higher Education setting preferred.
- Previous experience handling confidential information preferred
- Work involves hearing, speaking, and seeing to exchange information in person and on the phone.
- Work involves sitting for long periods of time and using office equipment, including a multi-line phone system and a computer.
- Work involves bending to adjust or work with different office equipment.
- Work occasionally requires physical exertion such as lifting heavy objects less than 50 pounds.
- The incumbent will be located in a busy front office setting. Interruptions and meeting with a variety of people will be required on a regular basis.
- There are a number of deadlines associated with this position, which may cause significant stress.
This is a non-exempt position and it includes an excellent benefits package including medical/dental/vision/life/LTD insurance/403b retirement plan; 10 days of vacation accrued the first year of service with an additional day of accrual each additional year of service up to a maximum of 22 days; 12 sick days and 10 paid holidays annually. Staff also receive free admission to campus events, use of the pool, fitness center, and tennis courts. Tuition remission is also available after an introductory period.
Mills College does not permit discrimination based on pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religious creed, color, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity. For more information on Mills non-discrimination policy, please go to http://www.mills.edu/administration/administrative_offices/policies/nondiscrimination.php
To apply, please submit the following at http://mills.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=87389
- cover letter
- Mills application form, and
- contact information for three references