Automotive Service Technology - Service Writer
Automotive Service Technology - Service Writer
Portland Community College
Requisition Number: 09115
Location: Sylvania Campus
Address: 12000 SW 49th Avenue, Portland, OR
Hours of Work: Other
Position Status: Classified; Level 19; Full-time; Non-exempt
Starting Salary Range: $3,259 - $3,329 per month
Job Close Date: Apply Immediately; This position will close once sufficient qualified applications have been received
Portland Community College is recruiting for an Automotive Service Technology - Service Writer supporting the Automotive Service Technology program on the Sylvania Campus. This program offers students the opportunity to become a skilled automotive service technician, providing them with the fundamental skills necessary to succeed in an ever changing and challenging industry. This position is working in an educational setting with students and helping to train the next Automotive Service Technicians for industry needs.
The National Automotive Technicians Education Foundation (NATEF), an arm of the industry certifying body, Automotive Service Excellence (ASE), accredits both our degree and certificate.
PCC serves nearly 90,000 full-time and part-time students, from all walks of life in the Portland area. We are committed to a culture which values human diversity and cultural competency for our students, our employees, and our partners.
PCC offers a comprehensive benefit package designed to provide employees and their families, including domestic partners, with a access to a broad range of benefit options.
Includes Health, Dental, and Vision options, Group Life, Auto and Home Insurance. Retirement and tax deferred 403B plans.
Starts at 6.67 hours of Vacation leave per month (additional vacation hours with years of service)
8 hours of Sick Leave per month
24 hours of additional Personal Leave days per year
11 Paid Holidays
Additionally, PCC provides a tuition waiver for yourself, domestic partner, and children under 24 years of age. Tuition reimbursement for yourself at other accredited institutions.
For a complete list of PCC benefits please copy and paste the following link into another browser http://www.pcc.edu/hr/benefits/
Typical Job Duties and Responsibilities
1.Works with students individually or in groups to enhance their learning in the assigned laboratory; provides direct assistance in the use of equipment and materials needed for instruction; orients students to the laboratory. Sets up established laboratory experiences for students as required by course outline or faculty direction; when necessary may modify laboratory experience to achieve desired results; evaluates student progress and provides this information to instructors; may lecture on specific elements of the laboratory work; may administer tests.
2.Orders department laboratory supplies and equipment and instructional materials utilizing blanket purchase orders and/or College purchasing card. Adheres to College purchasing guidelines. Tracks expenditures and reconciles bank statements. May negotiate pricing with vendors and research alternative suppliers.
3.Maintains and inventories equipment, materials, supplies, live specimens and written materials required for student instructional needs; may perform or schedule repairs on equipment; checks out equipment, supplies, materials to students; maintains contact with appropriate vendors.
4.Participates in departmental staff meetings, advisory committee and safety committee meetings; over the telephone or in person provides students, staff, instructors and public with information relating to specific programs; may represent the department/program to interested groups in the community. May represent the department at divisional meetings.
5.May reconcile expenditure transactions for assigned department against College database budget reports. Processes the transfer of monies as required to ensure accounts are balanced. Authorizes limited budget expenditures up to authorized amount.
6.Maintains records of activities undertaken in the support of the laboratory(ies) which may include typing forms, inputting data or otherwise retaining information regarding the acquisition, maintenance and distribution of equipment, materials, supplies and/or written materials.
7.Provides for the general cleanliness and security of the laboratory(ies) or work areas; assists in providing for a safe environment for the conduct of the laboratories. Reports maintenance problems as they occur.
The education and/or work history sections of your online application form must demonstrate that you meet all of the following Minimum Qualifications. The information on the resume/cover letter will not substitute for the completed application.
- Satisfactory references and successful completion of the criminal background check are required to meet the minimum qualifications for hire into this position.
In the online application's Education/Employment History sections, include jobs, duties, and dates that display these qualifications.
To be considered for this position, your application materials must show how you meet the following requirements:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Two (2) years of post-secondary education in a specific technical discipline appropriate to the instructional support. Relevant experience may substitute for the post-secondary education requirement on a year-for-year basis,
- Three (3) years of experience in the technical area are required;
- Must have proven written and oral communications skills adequate to assist students in understanding the work they are to perform.
- Proven ability to lead others and evaluate performance. Depending on laboratory assignment, some positions may also require specialized knowledge and program-specific certifications.
These qualifications and characteristics are critical to success in this important role at PCC. Please clarify in your application materials the experiences, successes and techniques evidencing how you bring these strengths:
- Experience, personal or professional, in designing, planning and fabricating metal, wood or other projects from scratch. Please provide examples.
- Current experience using Mitchell1 Manager SE service writing program including online parts ordering and integration.
- Current retail sales experience including writing estimates, repair orders and closing/reconciling invoices.
- Recent experience in general accounting including accounts receivable, accounts payable and budget/invoice reconciliation.
- ASE Master Certification.
- Proven communications skills to assist students in understanding the work they are to perform and ability to lead others.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact with upset students, staff and the general public.
- Intermediate knowledge/skills in Microsoft Office Suite, Google apps, email and multiline VOIP phones.
Additional Posting Information:
"Automotive Service Technology - Service Writer" is the working title for this position; the formal title in the PCC job classification system is "Instructional Support Technician IV"
To apply for this position you must submit:
1. Completed online application
2. Cover Letter (attach document)*
3. Current Resume (attach document)*
* When you apply for the position, you will be given an opportunity to attach the above documents. They may be attached in either "Microsoft Word" or ".pdf" formats.
- Applicants selected for hire will be required to pass a criminal background check as a condition of employment.
- This position is included in the bargaining agreement between Portland Community College and the Portland Community College Federation of Classified Employees (PCCFCE). Employment in this position will require, as a condition of employment, payment of monthly union dues or a monthly fair share fee in lieu of dues through automatic payroll deduction. Probationary period will be in accordance with Article 13 of the Classified Agreement. Current Classified employees are encouraged to review Article 15 for salary placement guidelines.
- Portland Community College will hire only United States citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States. All new employees will be required to complete the designated Immigration Service Employers Verification I-9 form.
Documents that must be associated with this posting:
Documents which can be associated with this posting:
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
How to Apply
For complete job description and application instructions, visit: jobs.pcc.edu
As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.