Research Assistant (Diagnostic Medicine/Pathobiology)
General Description of Position: The Department of Diagnostic Medicine/Pathobiology with the College of Veterinary Medicine is seeking applicants for a Research Assistant. This research assistant position is to provide research supports for developing vaccines against enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli associated children’s diarrhea and travelers’ diarrhea. This person will follow laboratory research protocols of microbiology, molecular biology, immunology and vaccinology, and will apply state-of-art laboratory techniques to assist senior researchers and the PI to carry out research projects. Other molecular biology techniques that may be required include: PCR/RT-PCR, recombinant DNA techniques, protein expression in bacterial and eukaryotic systems, DNA/RNA/peptide sequence alignment and analysis, cell culture systems, animal models and statistics. Diversity and Inclusion: Kansas State University embraces diversity, and promotes inclusion in every sector of the institution. The university actively seeks candidates whose commitments and contributions will advance the University's commitment to the Principles of Community. Job Description: Research: this one-year position supports certain aspects of research projects for developing vaccines against enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli (ETEC) associated diarrhea. This position will apply molecular biology, microbiology, immunology and vaccinology knowledge and laboratory skills, and follows laboratory research protocols to identify immunodominant domains or epitopes from virulence factors of ETEC or other enteric bacterial pathogens, to construct chimeric genes, to optimize antigenic presentation of recombinant proteins using protein modeling software, to immunize animals with recombinant proteins and to measure antibody responses. This position also requires skills of data collection, analyses, and presentation.
Laboratory maintenance: routine laboratory maintenance includes but not limits to daily check of laboratory equipment, ordering of laboratory reagents and supplies, book-keeping of safety documents and laboratory records.
Collaboration: collaborating researchers in the laboratory at various projects.Required Minimum Qualifications:
- BS of Veterinary Medicine
- Candidate has laboratory research experience on vaccine development against enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli
- Candidate must have basic knowledge and skills to follow protocols of microbiology, molecular biology, immunology and vaccinology, including of gene isolation and manipulation, PCR, protein expression and purification, protein modeling, animal immunization, measurement and characterization of antibody responses.
- Candidate should be able to collect data, record data, analyze data and present data effectively.
- Excellent written and oral communication skill.
- MS degree of Biomedical Science
- Laboratory research experience at enteric disease vaccine development