Education Reporter - Illinois Public Media (A1700456)
Illinois Public Media
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Illinois Public Media is looking for an Education Reporter to join our ambitious and growing news team and play a key role in launching an exciting new multi-station public media journalism collaboration. The reporter serves central Illinois communities with strong news stories that explore unique angles on all levels of education and prioritize substance, depth and context.
This is a job for: An early- or mid-career reporter with an ear for powerful stories that connect communities. You have excellent news judgment, understand the role and importance of great local journalism, and have a strong sense of how local, regional and national news intersect. You love finding new ways to tell and share stories and want to learn and grow with the full support of experienced managers and editors. You're curious, an active part of your community and find satisfaction from discovering and developing unique stories and sources.
The station: Illinois Public Media has a deep history of serving our community through journalism and engagement. We're financially strong, growing and focusing even more on high-quality journalism. And it's an important moment in Illinois for the kind of journalism that explores the issues that affect people's lives, focuses on potential solutions and holds public officials accountable. Our newsroom includes a 10-person team of reporters, hosts, editors and producers who serve local and regional audiences. That includes The 21st, a statewide talk show, and a core group of journalists who support the soon-to-launch Illinois Newsroom collaboration. We're based at the flagship campus of the University of Illinois in a vibrant micro-urban area and see ourselves as supporting dynamic, thriving communities informed and inspired by public media.
The Education Reporter will produce in-depth reports on local, state and regional education issues for IPM and Illinois Newsroom audiences with a focus on access, accountability and solutions. Investigate issues, report, write, voice, produce, and publish education-related news content for broadcast, web and social media.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Produce audio-rich stories and program segments that provide depth and context on topics relevant to the region for broadcast, digital, social media and special segments for TV.
• Demonstrate understanding of the issues facing the communities served by Illinois Public Media and report on those issues in a factual and timely manner across platforms, reflecting the issue's complexity and diversity of perspectives.
• Research and identify topics related to Illinois education and determine their merits for news coverage. Pitch well-developed ideas for features, interviews and spots that make best use of the format, reflect the issues facing our communities, move the story forward and represent the diverse voices and perspectives of the region.
• Cultivate sources and develop contact list. Make appropriate, timely, and effective independent decisions regarding issues to be covered and in coordination with editor. Build knowledge of beat, education policy, and practice in order to produce content with the highest level of credibility and serve as an expert on Illinois education.
• Produce spot news stories for air and web efficiently and on tight deadline. Be self-directed in identifying potential assignments, maintain productivity in both quantity and quality of work, and appropriately plan, organize, prioritize, and promote work in coordination with editor. Respond to breaking news, report live, and cover other news as assigned.
• Actively use Twitter, Facebook and other social media in the reporting process and to rapidly share news and information with the audience while adhering to the journalistic and ethical standards of public media.
• Keep up-to-date on issues in a variety of local and regional topics and actively participate in the community and digital engagement processes as one method of determining stories and sources.
• Fill-in for show hosts as needed; consistently deliver a professional on-air presentation during anchoring of newscasts and operate the control board during live broadcasts.
• Mentor news interns and student journalists.
• Participate in pledge drive trainings and as pledge talent during fund drives. Participate in marketing activities, community engagement projects and other audience interactions as assigned on behalf of Illinois Public Media, including interacting with audiences on our social media platforms.
Required: Bachelor's degree
Preferred: Bachelor's degree in Journalism or communications
1. At least one-year experience in news reporting or anchoring, public broadcasting preferred.
2. Experience using social media to engage audiences.
3. Experience and knowledge of standard newsroom practices.
4. Experience meeting frequent deadlines and managing multiple assignments.
Training, Licenses or Certifications:
1. Ability to edit audio with Adobe Audition, upload files to WILL's AudioVault audio platform and add content to the website's CMS.
2. Voice-delivery training.
3. Skilled at Microsoft Office software (Outlook, Word, Access, and Lync), Google Docs and Sheets.
1. Extensive knowledge of local, regional and national current events and issues.
2. Ability to write accurately, clearly and concisely for broadcast and web.
3. Ability to take initiative and work with minimal amount of direct supervision.
4. Keen sense of news judgment and ability to make independent decisions.
5. Ability to anchor a broadcast news program with a confident, intelligent and friendly manner.
6. Familiarity with libel rules, social media policies and best practices and the codes of ethics adopted by Illinois Public Media.
Preferred: Bilingual (English/Spanish or English/French)
To ensure full consideration, complete applications must be submitted by August 17, 2017. The committee may begin reviewing applications before the close date but no decision will be made until after the close date. Please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a cover letter describing qualifications for the position, current resume and the names and contact information for three professional references. For further information regarding application procedures, you may contact Annetta Allison (217) 265-7648 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
This is a full-time, 12-month academic professional appointment with a start date as soon as possible after the closing date. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: College of Media/IPM
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Education Reporter - Illinois Public Media (A1700456)
Open Date: 07/27/2017
Close Date: 08/17/2017
Organization Name: IPM Administration:Business Offic