The University of Kentucky's Medical Center Physical Plant is currently seeking 2 Grounds Workers for Facilities Management.
The Grounds Worker reports directly to the Custodial Supervisor and tends an area of land for aesthetic or functional purpose and performs all aspects of grounds turf maintenance including: mowing, trimming, edging, weed control and removal, seeding, fertilizing, grounds clean-up, and leaf removal; Ensures proper utilization of groundskeeping equipment, including implements and vehicles such as: mowers; lawn mowers; tractors; string trimmers; edger's; rotary brushes; rakes; leaf blowers; shovels; trowels; sprinklers; garden tools; as well as a watering can, pressure washers, or truck mounted watering system; May repair and maintain the playing surface at athletic or designated venues, as required; Performs minor pruning of tree limbs, shrubbery, and bushes; Maintains grounds and landscaping equipment in a safe operating condition; Maintains Campus landscaping, gardens or sporting venues (and their vegetation where appropriate) for appearance and functionality, including trimming hedges, pulling weeds, planting flowers, etc.; During plant installations, follows designs created by a landscape architect; Installs and maintains landscaped areas, including mulching, planting, and watering flower gardens; Applies environmentally appropriate weed and pest control; Maintains, improves, and ensures general upkeep of grounds, athletic, or designated venues, including garages; Secures litter and empties trash in designated area(s); Ensures litter-free zone(s); and Maintains and cleans University parking garages and stairwells. In addition, the Grounds Worker prepares for winter
weather events as necessary, at any and all hours, including nights, weekends, and holidays; Participates in continuous snow and ice control/removal during winter weather events; Addresses clean-up efforts as necessary following winter weather events, including the cleaning and storage of equipment and supplies; Removes snow and ice from University sidewalks, steps, parking areas, roads, etc., as required; and Operates, as assigned, light to heavy snow/ice removal equipment, including salt spreaders, snow shovels, snow blowers, snow plows or brushes, trucks and tractors with attached snow removal equipment, etc.
To be considered for both of the Grounds Worker positions you must submit an application to each. One application with not be considered for both openings. To apply for both positions, reference the following job numbers: RE11167 and RE11168
IEBC (Internal Employees Being Considered).
3CM00:Medical Center Physical Plant
Type of Position
Position Time Status
Click here for more information about equivalencies:
Required Related Experience
Required License/ Registration/Certification
Lifting, pushing, and/or pulling objects up to and over 50lbs; Standing or
walking with objects up to 25lbs; Repetitive motion; Risk of injuries from use of
equipment on the job; Loud noises; Cuts/punctures; Outdoor temperatures and
Evenings / Nights.
MS Windows/Office; KRONOS
Ability to push, pull or lift objects over 50lb; Work during emergency closings,
including early mornings, late evenings, weekends, and holidays; In extreme
weather conditions - outdoors.
Does this position have supervisory responsibilities?
High School + 2-Years Experience in groundskeeping; turf and landscaping
Driver's License — Preferred
Deadline to Apply
University Community of Inclusion
The University of Kentucky is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce by ensuring all our students, faculty, and staff work in an environment of openness and acceptance. We strive to foster a community where people of all backgrounds, identities, and perspectives can feel secure and welcome. We also value the well-being of each of our employees and are dedicated to creating a healthy place to work, learn and live. In the interest of maintaining a safe and healthy environment for our students, employees, patients and visitors the University of Kentucky is a Tobacco & Drug Free campus.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we strongly encourage veterans, individuals with disabilities, women, and all minorities to consider our employment opportunities.
Any candidate offered a position may be required to pass pre-employment screenings as mandated by University of Kentucky Human Resources. These screenings may include a national background check and/or drug screen.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Describe how your skills and experience make you a good fit for this position.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please indicate the number of years of paid work experience you have in grounds maintenance.
- More than 0, up through 1 year
- More than 1 year, up through 3 years
- More than 3 years, up through 5 years
- More than 5 years
- * Describe what "teamwork" means to you.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Are you currently a regular full-time employee within the University of Kentucky's Auxiliary Services Division?
- Yes, I am a regular full-time employee with Auxiliary Services at the University of Kentucky.
- No, but I am a University of Kentucky STEPS temporary employee with Auxiliary Services.
- No, I am not employed in any capacity by Auxiliary Services at the University of Kentucky.
- * Please indicate the number of years of paid work experience you have as a regular full-time employee at the University of Kentucky.
- More than 0, up through 2 years
- More than 2 years, up through 4 years
- More than 4 years, up through 6 years
- More than 6 years, up through 10 years
- More than 10 years, up through 15 years
- More than 15 years
- * Where did you first see this position advertised other than on UK's online employment system?
- Diverseeducation.com (Diverse Issues in Higher Education)
- Lexington Herald Leader (newspaper ad)
- Richmond Register (newpaper ad)
- A Colleague, Friend and/or Family Member
- None of the Above
- Cover Letter