Senior Manager of Learning and Development
Functional Title Senior Manager of Learning and Development
Position Type Administration - Staff
The Department of Human Resources commits to the creation of an inclusive, collaborative, and responsive university by attracting, retaining, and developing a diverse community of talented individuals in support of the university's mission. The Department is dedicated to providing state-of-the-art employee services including talent management, professional development and organizational capacity, compensation, employee benefits, wellness and work/life balance, rewards and recognition, records management, employee relations, human resource information systems,and affirmative action and diversity, that promote innovation, creativity, and inclusion.
The Department of Human Resources is currently seeking qualified candidates to consider the Senior Manager of Learning and Development position.
The Senior Manager of Learning and Development is a senior leadership position reporting to the Associate Vice Chancellor for Human Resources and is responsible for the creation and execution of a comprehensive and integrated learning strategy to support the critical needs of the University. This position will be accountable for the establishment and the management of a learning curriculum including designing and developing experiential learning opportunities through instructional materials, training courses, and multimedia technologies that facilitate the professional development and continuous learning of the University's EHRA Faculty, EHRA Non-Faculty, and SHRA employees in support of the overall mission of the University and its operating goals and objectives. The position will oversee the learning and training initiatives, aligning learning strategies and programs to University strategies to realize measurable impact. Position collaborates with Senior Level HR Managers, HR business partners and management to identify and create action plans to address gaps in learning. In addition, the Senior Manager of Learning and Development will leverage the knowledge and experience of subject matter experts to achieved desired goals.
Major duties and responsibilities:
Strategy and Planning
- Develop strategies that move toward creating a University wide culture of career growth and development; focusing on innovation, problem solving, and customer service improvement and engagement.
- Collaborate with leadership to design and facilitate change management initiatives increasing engagement to meet strategic business objectives.
- Provide assessment and analysis of the University's employee training to develop specific strategies and programs to address the needs in a cost-effective manner.
- Develop training and development strategy and curricula, partnering with the CHRO and senior management.
- Facilitate the design and delivery of New Employee Orientation and the New Employee Experience for faculty and staff, including the development of online support tools for managers and orientation guidelines for new hires that will evolve/enhance new employee program offerings to drive employee engagement
- Conduct annual training and development needs assessment.
- Propose training and development programs and objectives.
- Develop relevant metrics to analyze and evaluate the effectiveness of programs and services offered ensuring their relevance to the overall mission and both short and long term strategic planning initiatives.
- Design and implement distance learning strategies, including virtual classroom learning and self-paced web-based training for both technical and professional/management development training topics.
- Utilize innovative practices, research, insight, experience and understanding of the needs and culture of the University to develop and deliver instructor led, e-learning, or blended learning training programs to develop leadership, communication, performance and productivity skills.
- Direct and engage in the detailed design of classroom and/or on-line employee training offerings. This includes assessing a specific identified instructional need, defining the scope of the training content, identifying relevant sources of subject matter expertise, sourcing or developing supporting training material, producing a finished training deliverable and evaluating course feedback to monitor training effectiveness.
- Design and implement assessment tools to confirm the needs of key stakeholders and review data gathered to develop targeted actions plans that meet the unique and specific needs of the campus community.
- Develop and implement employee check-in surveys to obtain feedback to enhance programs and gauge employee engagement.
- Knowledge of adult learning best practices and strategies to ensure the the University training programs are innovative effective, and of highest quality.
- Consult, research, develop and facilitate training courses on topics related to HR policy and procedures.
- Facilitate EEOI (employment law training).
- Write and facilitate training courses on soft skill topics that include leadership, coaching and performance management, time management, understanding generational diversity, managing change, and customer service.
- Design and coordinate focused curriculums (learning modules) for staff professional development including a supervisor's training program.
- Design and conduct follow-up activities to increase participant's training transfer of knowledge.
- Position is responsible for leading and engaging in organizational development and partnering with the CHRO and other HR leaders to identify succession planning activities.
- Analyze and interpret organizational and change management situations applying adult learning to facilitate those situations.
- Ensure training programs support the changing needs of the business and address new initiatives, with an emphasis on current trends and practices.
- Identify and develop subject matter experts (SMEs) and trainers and partner with these individuals to deploy training and development programs throughout the organization.
- Identify internal and external professional community resources to form partnership for the development of effective training and education programs.
- Assess training needs of staff of the university. Design and facilitate training courses based off those needs.
- The position is responsible for providing supervision for 1.0 FTE with plans for another 1.0 FTE in the next fiscal year.
- The position assesses individual efforts to ensure services align with needs and expectations in meeting goals.
- Allocate resources and staff to ensure optimal efficiency and effectiveness.
- Drives process improvement within team.
- Recommend process changes and identify opportunities to improve existing procedures, tools and incorporate these into standard workflows and processes.
Benefits include but are not limited to:
- Health Insurance - NC State Health Plan (NC Smart Choice)
- Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, FSAs and more (NC Flex)
- Retirement (Teachers' and State Employees' Retirement System and Optional Retirement Program)
- Employee Assistance Program
- Vacation, Sick, Community Service, FMLA Leave
- Longevity Pay
- Eligible to become a member of the State Employees Credit Union
- Employee Award Programs
- Employee Wellness Resources
- and more
The University of North Carolina at Greensboro is a world-class, research intensive, regional University with a diverse portfolio of expertise and a particular focus on fostering healthy lives, vibrant communities and global connections. UNCG is a leading institution within the 17-campus University of North Carolina System. Recognized for its programs in the Music, Theater and Dance; Nursing; Business; Education; Life and Physical Sciences; and Health and Human Sciences, UNCG continues to grow its enrollment and enjoys the most diverse student populations of all the UNC system universities. With more than 19,000 students, UNCG has a significant and positive impact in North Carolina and the Greensboro/Triad area in particular. UNCG is nationally recognized for its distance learning initiative and serves many rural areas of North Carolina with its highly rated online educational programs. Established in 1892, the University of North Carolina at Greensboro was founded as the first public university in North Carolina for women. In 1963 the school became co-educational, but the legacy of providing both opportunity and excellence continues today.
Bachelor's degree preferably with coursework applicable to HR management, human relations and/or business administration and four years of directly-related program development and personnel management experience demonstrating competencies needed to perform the work; or an equivalent combination of training and experience. All degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.
- Five (5) - seven (7) years of directly related experience.
- Earned Master's degree
Tenure Status N/A
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants are required to upload a list of references of least three (3) professional references that includes:
- Company Name,
- Type of reference (Professional, Supervisor, Colleague, Academic or Personal). One (1) of those references will need to be a current or previous supervisor.
- Email Address
- Contact Phone Number
Recruitment Range $74,000 - $76,538
Org #-Department Human Resources - 58401
Job Open Date 07/27/2017
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled Yes
Type of Appointment 1.0 (Full-Time)
Time Limited? No
Number of Months per Year 12
- Cover Letter
- List of References
- Salary History
- Reference Letter 1
- Reference Letter 2
- Reference Letter 3
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Please indicate how you learned of the vacant position for which you are applying:
- UNCGjobsearch Website
- Piedmont Triad Area Newspaper
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Inside Higher Ed
- Other professional journal / website
- UNC School System Job Board
- Personal Networking
- * If you selected "Other", please provide the name of the resource here.
(Open Ended Question)
To learn more or to apply for this position please visit our UNCGjobsearch website at https://jobsearch.uncg.edu