Requisition Number STA - 201000000511
Job Title Academic Advisor
The University of North Texas at Dallas invites applications for the position of Academic Advisor.
The University - the first four-year public institution of higher education in the city - seeks an individual who will help shape the character of a 21st century, teaching-focused university. Candidates should be able to express enthusiastic support for the mission of the university to transform the lives of students, families and communities by providing high-quality, student-focused education in preparation for tomorrow's careers, and its vision to create the place of choice where students are inspired to learn, faculty are inspired to teach and the community is inspired to support. For more information about the university, go to: http://untdallas.edu/
Due to the growth of the University, the Academic Advising Department is also expanding. Please note that there are multiple openings for the Academic Advisor position.
This position advises students of the requirements and procedures needed for completion of degrees, prepares paperwork associated with academic requirements and graduation processing. Employee works under the general supervision of an administrator who reviews results and overall effectiveness of employee's work
Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Evaluates transfer credit hours for applicability to UNT Dallas degree programs according to established criteria.
- Compares contents of each degree plan against the established requirements for a particular degree and notifies student if a problem exists.
- Counsels students in person and over the phone concerning their academic requirements.
- Contacts students who have received academic alerts to recommend solutions and provide support
- Confers with faculty or administrators with regard to academic policy issues, such as acceptable course substitutes for a particular degree.
- Assists in determining TSI testing and appropriate course placement for incoming new and transfer students
- Assists the Registrar's Office in determining student eligibility for graduation.
- Makes presentations to on-campus and off-campus groups regarding procedures and program requirements.
- May train new Advisors, or review work prepared by other Advisors.
- Assists with graduation exercises.
- May serve as contact person for specialized programs of study or certificate programs.
- Assists with updating academic advising website.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
The successful candidate will possess the following required qualifications:
Two years of professional experience in higher education; graduation from a four-year college or university; Master's degree may substitute for one year of experience; or any equivalent combination of education, experience, and training which provides the following knowledge, skills, and abilities; Substitution for degree requirement not permitted:
- Extensive knowledge of degree programs and graduation requirements, admission and status requirements, registration procedures, and related academic policies.
- Ability to conduct interviews and counsel with students, and to present information effectively to groups.
- Ability to make decisions in accordance with established University regulations and policies.
- Considerable knowledge of various University catalogs and bulletins, and publications issued by the Texas Education Agency regarding teacher certification.
- Ability to make computations and tabulations rapidly and accurately.
- Working knowledge of modern office appliances, practices and procedures.
- Accuracy in spelling, typing and math.
- Tact, diplomacy and judgment required in dealing with others.
- Knowledge of safety and security measures appropriate to work performed.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
- Master's Degree.
- Two years experience working in higher education in an advising capacity.
- Experience working with student information systems, such as PeopleSoft.
- Experience presenting in front of large groups/audiences.
- Some experience in web design.
Physical requirements necessary to perform essential job functions
Work is primarily sedentary. Sits comfortably to do the work; however, there may be some walking, standing, bending, or lifting items weighing up to 15 pounds.
Driving University Vehicle? No
Monday - Friday 8 am - 5 pm or 9 am - 6 pm; Occasional evenings and weekends.
Substitution of Experience/Education Yes
Start Date 09/01/2017
Ending Date (if temporary)
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume with their online application.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Texas Workforce Commission
- HigherEd Jobs
- Inside Higher Ed
- Linked In
- Professional Diversity Network
- Company Website
- Job Fair
- Current Employee
- Other (Specify Below)
- Please specify source from above
(Open Ended Question)
- * What is your highest level of completed education?
- High School/GED
- Bachelor's Degree
- Master's Degree
- PhD (or terminal degree for your discipline)
- * How many years experience do you have in higher education?
- More than one, but less than two.
- Two or more.
- No Response.
- Cover Letter
- Veteran Preference (DD-214)