Senior PeopleSoft Database (DBA) Administration/Systems Manager
Senior PeopleSoft Database (DBA) Administration/Systems Manager
Salary: $106,785.00 - $145,495.00 monthly
Job Type: Full-Time
Job Number: 18-008
Location: Long Beach, CA
Department: Instructional & Information Tech Services
(CURRENT VACANCY: 100%, 12 MONTHS)
6 MONTH ELIGIBILITY LIST
11 STEPS - RANGE 12**
**NEW SALARY SCHEDULE EFFECTIVE SEPTEMBER 1, 2017. INITIAL SALARY PLACEMENT IS NEGOTIABLE BASED ON QUALIFICATIONS UP TO STEP 5 ($127,325).
GENERAL PURPOSEUnder direction, performs highly complex duties in the development, installation, configuration, maintenance, tuning and administration of PeopleSoft systems (Student and Financials) version 8.3 or higher enterprise-wide data management systems and software and in the installation, configuration, maintenance and administration of operating system and other core software and support systems; serves as an expert technical advisor on complex data, applications and systems management and administration issues; and performs related duties as assigned. Contributes to the reliable and secure operation of the PeopleSoft software, SQL Server database, and related software components underlying the PeopleSoft Student, HR, and Financials applications. Installs, implements, and supports PeopleSoft application software, acts as a primary technical resource for the campus administrative computing applications and provides ongoing support, including software tuning, installing upgrades and fixes, and maintaining software for 24/7 availability. DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS Senior PeopleSoft Database Administration/Systems Managers perform highly complex duties at an advanced professional mastery level in the development, maintenance and administration of data and systems management software and database structures which provide the foundation for delivery of enterprise-wide technology services to meet the needs of District departments and business areas for achievement of their academic, business, operational, service and productivity objectives. The incumbents are responsible for PeopleSoft enterprise architecture strategies for data and systems and ensure that database and systems environments are secure and kept up-to-date. Work requires deep technical knowledge of PeopleSoft data and systems architectures and the ability to apply that knowledge in the resolution of highly complex issues and problems. Incumbents are expected to exercise sound expert independent judgment in managing the delivery of high quality, customer-focused products and services, efficiently and cost-effectively.
Senior PeopleSoft Database Administration/Systems Manager is distinguished from other data management and systems administrator classes in that incumbents in the former class are recognized enterprise experts and provide technical advice and consulting to other professional technology staff and managers in their professional disciplines.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to this class.
- Performs highly complex data management functions at an enterprise level; installs, integrates, upgrades and manages PeopleSoft database environments and structures; monitors and evaluates PeopleSoft database environments to optimize performance; plans, organizes, tests and executes migration of databases from development and test to production environments; installs and tests new releases, bundles and fixes; ensures data security protocols are maintained and backup/recovery processes are completed as scheduled.
- Performs PeopleSoft database administration functions for enterprise databases, including setting up and running database management utilities to backup, reorganize and restore databases and resolve production and operational problems; monitors utilization and manages available database resources.
- Performs PeopleSoft data and systems architect duties; analyzes data resource and server capacity and forecasts growth requirements; recommends server, hardware and rdbms upgrades and enhancements to meet long-term needs;provides enterprise-level short- and long-term planning advice on technical enterprise database and systems management and utilization issues; promotes the effective sharing and utilization of common data across applications and departments/business units; researches and recommends software, hardware and other tools for data warehousing and data mining solutions; develops and deploys software to support data extraction, manipulation and reporting.
- AdministersPeopleSoft enterprise database security processes and procedures; develops, recommends and implements security permissions, privileges, standards and guidelines.
- Installs, configures and integrates PeopleSoft application software over data management systems and supporting components and services; installs, upgrades and implements application fixes and patches; administers enterprise application software to ensure security and performance optimization.
- Performs highly complex systems management functions at an enterprise level; installs, configures, integrates, tests, maintains and administers enterprise operating system software, including system monitoring and management software, for production, development and supplemental servers running enterprise applications and supporting components; installs and monitors system level security structures and protocols; ensures disaster response and recovery processes are followed.
- Provides advanced technical support to PeopleSoft and web team developers and users including advice and guidance on complex processes and system interdependencies; troubleshoots operational and systems issues ranging from difficult to highly complex, including problems with multiple solutions and potential significant consequences; works with other ACIT staff to develop and implement or recommend the implementation of appropriate solutions to complex problems.
- Oversees, reviews and responds to developers on PeopleSoft application customization and security requests, ensuring that development standards are followed, application changes are documented, change control procedures are strictly enforced and change projects are migrated across applications environments in an orderly manner.
- Collaborates with other ACIT staff to develop and implement technology standards, policies and procedures.
- Develops and maintains schematics and other documentation of PeopleSoft database and systems architectures and administration processes.
- Keeps abreast of advancements and emerging trends in data management and storage systems, networking and multi-platform communication technologies; consults with vendors and other sources on industry and product direction, functionality and capabilities.
- Principles, practices and techniques of information systems management, including applications design, hardware and software options for administrative, business and academic functions and the cost-benefit of systems alternatives.
- Relational database theory, design rules and development practices.
- Data storage, warehousing and mining principles, methods and technology solutions.
- Database management systems and software, including architectures, diagnostic tools, commands and utilities.
- Tools and utilities used in monitoring and tuning database, applications and systems performance.
- Operating system architectures, characteristics, components and commands applicable to enterprise information systems and platform operating systems.
- Network architectures and theory and principles of network design and integration, including topologies and protocols.
- Principles, practices and methods of systems/network administration and maintenance, including configuration, performance tuning and diagnostic tools.
- Systems integration design concepts as they apply to areas of responsibility.
- Principles and practices of sound business communication.
- Principles, practices and methods of project management as they apply to information technology projects.
- Plan, organize, integrate and manage a broad range of complex data and systems management, upgrade, administration and maintenance activities.
- Establish and maintain project and production schedules and balance responsibilities for multiple activities to ensure timely, high-quality results.
- Identify information and technology management issues and opportunities, analyze complex problems and alternatives and develop sound conclusions and recommendations.
- Perform PeopleSoft database and systems troubleshooting and tuning to resolve complex data and systems management, communication and interoperating problems.
- Assess customer needs, set priorities and allocate resources to most effectively meet needs in a timely manner.
- Develop and implement appropriate procedures and controls.
- Understand and apply functional requirements to the development of systems proposals, specifications and recommendations for cost effective information systems and technology solutions.
- Communicate clearly and effectively to diverse audiences of technical and non-technical personnel, both orally and in writing.
- Prepare clear, concise and accurate proposals, reports, documentation and other written materials.
- Read, interpret, explain and apply technical information on systems processes, software and hardware for technical and non-technical users.
- Exercise sound expert independent judgment within general policy guidelines.
- Keep technical skills current to meet continuing work responsibilities.
- Use tact and diplomacy when dealing with sensitive, complex and/or confidential issues and situations.
- Establish and maintain highly effective working relationships with District managers, power and other users, consultants, vendors, employees and others encountered in the course of work.
A valid California driver's license and the ability to maintain insurability under the City's vehicle insurance policy.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDSThe physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this class. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Physical DemandsWhile performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; talk or hear, both in person and by telephone; use hands to finger, handle and feel computers and standard business equipment; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand and walk and occasionally lift or move up to 25 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Mental DemandsWhile performing the duties of this class, the employee is regularly required to use written and oral communication skills; read and interpret complex data, information and documents; analyze and solve complex problems; observe and interpret conditions and situations; use math/mathematical reasoning; perform highly detailed work under changing, intensive deadlines, on multiple concurrent tasks; work with constant interruptions, and interact with District managers, power and other users, consultants, vendors, employees and others encountered in the course of work. WORK ENVIRONMENTThe work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this class. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee works under typical office conditions, and the noise level is usually quiet.
LONG BEACH COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
The Long Beach Community College District is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity. It is the District's policy to ensure that all qualified applicants for employment and employees have full and equal access to employment opportunity and are not subject to discrimination in any program or activity of the District on the basis of ethnic group identification, race, gender, color, language, accent, citizenship status, ancestry national origin, age, sex, religion, sexual orientation, transgender, parental status, marital status, veteran status, physical or mental disability or medical condition, or on the basis of these perceived characteristics.
If you require accommodations in the Application or Examination Process, please notify the Human Resources Office at least two days prior to the closing date, by calling (562) 938-4372.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES:To be considered a candidate for this position, all materials required should be received in the Long Beach City College Office of Human Resources by the Closing Date. Incomplete application will not be considered and disqualified from further consideration.
It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that all requested materials are received. All material included in the application packet become District property, will not be returned, and will not be copied.All information qualifying an applicant for the position must be included on the Long Beach City College application. Do not submit a resume with the application. Resumes will be removed from applications. A complete file consists of all of the following:
- Completed electronically signed Long Beach City College application electronic form.
- Copies of college transcripts showing college coursework and/or degrees. Unofficial copies are acceptable during the application process. Candidates not holding the education requirements for a position must attach a statement in lieu of transcripts requesting an evaluation of experience to meet the position requirements.
TIPS FOR SUCCESS:
For information on LBCC Tips for Success, please click on the following link:
Applications will be reviewed for eligibility. Only applicants meeting the minimum qualifications will be invited to participate in the examination process at their own expense.
The supplemental examination application is the first phase of the examination process. Please answer each questions thoroughly. They will be read and scored by Subject Matter Experts. You must pass all phases of the examination process to be placed on the eligibility list.
Supplemental Questions (Pass/Fail) Screening: TBD
Performance Examination/Qualifications Appraisal Interview (100%): TBD
(Qualified candidates will be notified in writing of the time and location)
The district contributes to medical, dental, and vision insurance for the employee and eligible dependents, and life insurance for the employee. Benefits also include 21 vacation days and 5 management leave days.
01 Describe your professional experience and education that qualifies you for the Senior PeopleSoft Database Administration/Systems Manager.
To apply, visit https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/lbcc/jobs/1794869/