Salary: $3,145.34 - $3,867.04 monthly
Job Type: Full-Time
Job Number: 18-010
Location: Both Liberal Arts Campus & Pacific Coast Campus, CA
Department: Custodial Services
Closing: 8/15/2017 4:00 PM Pacific
(RECRUITMENT IS TO ESTABLISH ELIGIBILITY LIST FOR FUTURE VACANCIES)
5 STEPS - RANGE 21
12 MONTH ELIGIBILITY LIST
GENERAL PURPOSEUnder supervision, cleans classrooms, offices, hallways, stairways, libraries, gymnasiums, laboratories, industrial shops and other assigned areas at District buildings/facilities on a day or night shift; performs minor maintenance and repair to furniture, fixtures and facilities; secures schools, buildings and facilities; and performs related duties as assigned.
DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICSCustodian is the entry-level class in the custodial class series. Initially under close supervision, incumbents learn and perform a variety of custodial duties. After training, incumbents work independently in maintaining the cleanliness, appearance and safety of assigned District buildings and facilities. Incumbents in this class may be assigned to a day or evening shift and are responsible for ensuring cleaning assignments are properly completed.Custodian is distinguished from Lead Custodian in that incumbents in the latter class are responsible for scheduling, assigning, inspecting and participating in the work of custodial crews assigned to District buildings and facilities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIESThe duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to this class.
- Cleans, dusts, scrubs and disinfects restrooms, offices, classrooms, hallways, equipment, fixtures and the exterior of buildings; washes windows, mirrors, appliances, chalkboards and walls; cleans and disinfects drinking fountains; polishes metalwork, woodwork and furniture; cleans sinks, mirrors and other bathroom fixtures; cleans and sterilizes food preparation and child care areas; restocks supplies and refills dispensers and vending machines; empties and cleans waste receptacles and pencil sharpeners; picks up paper and other debris from grounds and buildings.
- Sweeps, strips, scrubs, mops, waxes and polishes floors and vacuums rugs and carpets in classrooms, offices, lounges, workshops and other areas; spot cleans and shampoos carpets; performs carpet repairs as assigned.
- Cleans, dusts and polishes furniture, office equipment, vents, ledges, light fixtures, blinds and woodwork; cleans and waxes desks.
- Adjusts and arranges furniture and equipment; moves furniture, supplies and equipment between classrooms, District sites, and to and from vendors; sets up rooms for special events and meetings; sets up stage and shell for special events; transports garbage to dump grounds.
- Performs minor maintenance and non-technical repairs on buildings and grounds including replacing lights, minor plumbing repairs, cleaning up spills, refilling dispensers and sweeping or mopping floors; reports other maintenance and repair needs.
- Removes graffiti by using appropriate solution or painting over words and designs; reports graffiti that cannot to be removed or covered.
- Locks and unlocks doors and gates; raises and lowers flags; reports potential safety, sanitary and fire hazards; escorts individuals off campus as needed; turns lights on and off; responds to radio emergency or special requests as needed.
- Operates a variety of custodial equipment including floor stripper, buffer, carpet shampooer, vacuum cleaner, power blower, and small power and hand tools.
- Launders and dries rags, towels and other items used by custodial staff; operates commercial washing machines and dryers.
- Disposes of rodents and dead animals from grounds.
- Assists with pool maintenance as needed; cleans and checks pool filters; tests water; checks and cleans ORD sensors.
- Assists in collecting fire extinguishers for annual inspection.
- Assists in orienting new custodial staff as assigned.
- Modern cleaning methods including basic methods of cleaning and preserving floors, carpets, furniture, walls and fixtures.
- Cleaning materials, disinfectants and equipment used in custodial work.
- Safety practices and work methods pertaining to the work.
- Learn requirements of maintaining school buildings in a safe, clean and orderly condition.
- Learn the schedules, procedures and use of custodial tools and supplies.
- Use common cleaning equipment and materials in a safe and efficient manner.
- Operate a variety of custodial equipment including floor stripper, buffer, carpet shampooer, vacuum cleaner, power blower, and small power and hand tools.
- Perform minor repairs as assigned.
- Observe and report needed maintenance and repair.
- Meet schedules and time lines.
- Understand and follow oral and written directions.
- Work cooperatively with others.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with District management, staff and others encountered in the course of work.
Education, Training and Experience:A typical way of obtaining the knowledge, skills and abilities outlined above is graduation from high school or G.E.D. equivalent; and sufficient training and work experience to demonstrate the knowledge and abilities listed above.
Licenses; Certificates; Special Requirements:A valid California Class C driver's license and the ability to maintain insurability under the District's vehicle insurance policy.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDSThe physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this class. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Physical DemandsWhile performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to stand and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to walk, sit, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus. Mental DemandsWhile performing the duties of this class, employees are regularly required to use written and oral communication skills; read and interpret data, information and documents; analyze and solve problems; use simple arithmetic reasoning; observe and interpret situations; learn and apply new information or new skills; work under deadlines with constant interruptions; and interact with District management, staff and others encountered in the course of work.
WORK ENVIRONMENTThe work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this class. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The employee occasionally works in outside weather conditions and is exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals and risk of electric shock. The noise level is usually moderately quiet.
LONG BEACH COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
The Long Beach Community College District is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity. It is the District's policy to ensure that all qualified applicants for employment and employees have full and equal access to employment opportunity and are not subject to discrimination in any program or activity of the District on the basis of ethnic group identification, race, gender, color, language, accent, citizenship status, ancestry national origin, age, sex, religion, sexual orientation, transgender, parental status, marital status, veteran status, physical or mental disability or medical condition, or on the basis of these perceived characteristics.
If you require accommodations in the Application or Examination Process, please notify the Human Resources Office at least two days prior to the closing date, by calling (562) 938-4372.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES:To be considered a candidate for this position, all materials required should be received in the Long Beach City College Office of Human Resources by the Closing Date. Incomplete application will not be considered and disqualified from further consideration.
It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that all requested materials are received. All material included in the application packet become District property, will not be returned, and will not be copied.All information qualifying an applicant for the position must be included on the Long Beach City College application. Do not submit a resume with the application. Resumes will be removed from applications. A complete file consists of all of the following:
- Completed electronically signed Long Beach City College application electronic form.
For information on LBCC Tips for Success, please click on the following link:
Applications will be reviewed for eligibility. Only applicants meeting the minimum qualifications will be invited to participate in the examination process at their own expense.
Written Examination (Pass/Fail) Screening: TBD
Performance Examination/Qualifications Appraisal Interview (100%): TBD
(Qualified candidates will be notified in writing of the time and location)
Leaves: Liberal sick leave, holidays, bereavement and emergency leaves are provided for all permanent Classified employees.
Benefits earned by a regular classified employee working at least 50% or more are as follows:
Insurance: The District provides medical, dental, vision care, and life insurance for the employee and their dependents.
Retirement: Classified employees are members of the Public Employees Retirement System (PERS).
01 Please select the number of years of custodial experience you hold (This experience must be stated on your application).
- 0 - 3 years
- 4 - 6 years
- 7 - 9 years
- 10+ years
- 0 - 3 years
- 4 - 6 years
- 7 - 9 years
- 10+ years
- 0 - 3 years
- 4 - 6 years
- 7 - 9 years
- 10+ years
- Floor Stripper
- Carpet Shampooer
- Power Blower
- Wet Vacuum
- Dry Vacuums
- Rotary Shampooer
- Steam Cleaner
- Dry Foam Shampooer
- Carpet Cleaner and Sweeper
- None of the Above
To apply, visit https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/lbcc/jobs/1800526/