Student Account Specialist (Temporary) - One Stop
Azusa Pacific University is a comprehensive, evangelical, Christian university located 26 miles northeast of Los Angeles, California. A leader in the Council for Christian Colleges & Universities, APU is committed to excellence in higher education. Offering over 80 bachelors, masters and doctoral programs on campus, online, and at seven regional centers across Southern California, APU has been recognized as one of U.S.News & World Report's Best Colleges for seven years running. The university provides outstanding opportunities for staff in advancement, professional growth, and Christian ministry. APU seeks staff who model excellence in their discipline and have a clear and compelling understanding of their faith and Christian commitment.
For staff positions, please apply directly at: http://apustaffjobs.silkroad.com
The primary responsibility of this position is to assist students in determining the affordability of obtaining their education through financial aid, loans, and payment options. It is the specialist's responsibility to oversee the accounts for their alpha group and to assist students/parents who become delinquent with payment plans.
- BA/BS degree in related field (or equivalent combination of experience and education.)
- Three - five years of general business experience, preferably in related field.
Primary Duties/Essential Functions
- Maintains, corrects, and collects current student accounts as assigned. Place holds on the accounts when payments are delinquent.
- Counsels students/parents with complex financial aid and loan situations, professional judgments, FAFSA problems and verification issues.
- Counsels students on payment plans and explains the consequences of non-payment.
- Manages the CASHNet online operation for their students, which consists of counseling parents and students for usage, follow-up on rejected items and manual payments for exceptions.
- Helps students/parents set up payment plans in CASHNet. Monitors compliance with the payment plans and resolves delinquent accounts.
- Mediates follow-up between student and financial aid/loan officers to finalize loan applications and verifications.
- Approves graduation participation, diploma release, and policy exceptions.
- Identifies non-current students for purpose of credit refund or collection.
- Counsels students on Study Abroad programs
- Backs up the refund process.
- Attends training workshops and meetings as requested to stay current with Federal Financial Aid Regulations and Programs. Assists in collating packets as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Knowledge of general office operations and equipment.
- Computer literate.
- Ability to communicate effectively both in written form and verbally.
- Good command of the English language and good organizational skills.
- Logical problem-solving skills with the ability to make decisions within broad limitations of University policy.
- Understanding of the PeopleSoft environment and interface.
- Ability to work under general guidance with little supervision.
- Ability to plan details of procedures and methods to obtain definite objectives.
- Ability to understand written and verbal instructions and to understand document procedure.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and discretion.
- Ability to maintain accuracy in high-stress periods
- In agreement with the purpose and goals of Azusa Pacific University in providing a Christian-based higher education for its students.
- Intermittent sitting and standing; intermittent computer keyboard work.
- Repetitive wrist and finger motions with computer keyboard work.
- Talking and hearing on the telephone.
- Ability to conduct business at other offices on campus.
- Ability to lift, pull, grasp, bend to lower file drawers, and reach to the top of 5-drawer file cabinet.
- Ability to lift up to 20 lbs. occasionally.
- Reading, writing notes, and computer monitor.
- Pleasant office, comfortable temperature.
- At times multiple conversations occurring simultaneously.
- Proficient in Google Apps., MailChimp, Microsoft Office, Word, and Excel.
Azusa Pacific University is a Christ-centered, multicultural community that values and seeks faculty and staff who are committed to diversity, work effectively with diverse populations, and engage others in ways that honor our rich cultural mosaic and biblical foundation.
You can learn more about APU by watching the stories of faculty, staff, and alumni as they carry out our mission here: http://www.apu.edu/stories/
Azusa Pacific University will conduct a background check on all final candidates.
Review of applications will begin immediately, and the position will remain open until filled unless otherwise stated. Azusa Pacific University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.