Senior Writer for Admissions Communications
Bucknell University seeks an experienced, talented and creative writer to join its Division of Communications as a Senior Writer for Admissions Communications. This role is part of an editorial group responsible for developing and implementing Bucknell University's communications strategy across its print and digital channels, with a particular focus on student recruitment. The successful candidate will join a highly collaborative, award-winning team that works to highlight Bucknell's strengths and value by telling authentic and compelling stories that inspire admissions, development, parent, alumni and other key audiences.
The Senior Writer will manage multiple projects simultaneously, and have a passion for initiating ideas and developing them into successful projects. The ideal candidate will be a team player who is willing to share their own perspectives, learn from the perspectives of others, and contribute to an environment of diversity and inclusiveness.
Applicants must provide three writing samples published within the last three years. Finalists for the position will complete on-site writing and editing tests.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
• Contribute to the development of strategies, plans and communications that fulfill Bucknell's communications and recruitment goals in collaboration with the Director of Content Strategy and key Admissions staff. Create written content and high-level messages for Admissions communications across channels. Provide guidance on overarching messages, voice and tone to the Office of Admissions.
• Write and edit content for print and digital Admissions communications, and provide guidance on photography for the University website for Admissions and related web pages and other digital student recruitment assets.
• Research admissions audience needs and preferences, along with issues in higher education that have the potential to affect recruitment, and shape effective responses that achieve Bucknell's goals in a dynamic higher education culture.
• Cover assigned news beats on campus, and within these areas will cultivate sources, identify potential stories, conduct interviews and research, and write accurate, engaging copy.
• Serve as an integral part of a communications team that works to fulfill high-level University goals and initiatives related, but not limited, to Bucknell's overarching communications strategy and admissions and development communications.
• Work with students and faculty to identify and convey powerful stories that communicate clearly, honestly and effectively the value of a Bucknell education.
• Create news content for the University website and other outlets.
• Propose and pursue story leads and innovative ideas that support Bucknell's integrated communications approach.
• Advise academic and administrative departments in developing communications that promote their programs and align with Bucknell's external communications strategy.
• Ensure the accuracy of all copy, and facts and data used in copy.
• Bachelor's degree
• Five years of professional marketing communications experience, including at least three years' experience in university admissions communications.
• Demonstrated excellence in research, writing, grammar and editing skills, including experience with and knowledge of news feature writing, writing for marketing purposes and writing for the web, as demonstrated by professional publications.
• Demonstrated ability to critically evaluate information and assess value, while maintaining high journalistic standards of accuracy and integrity.
• Record of success in creating persuasive messaging across media.
• Experience and demonstrated flexibility to be both creative and analytical in developing ideas, writing content and managing the various stages of projects, including concept and content development and measurement.
• Demonstrated ability to use and/or adapt to technological systems such as Google Docs, web content management and basic Photoshop.
• Demonstrated commitment to diversity, inclusiveness and the sharing of perspectives across differences.
• Proven skills in creativity, analysis and problem-solving, and the ability to evaluate, synthesize and incorporate ideas and feedback from multiple stakeholders.
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a team-oriented environment and manage projects independently.
• Superb organizational and project-management skills.
• Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications or related field.
• Experience working in other media, such as video or social
About Bucknell -
Bucknell University provides equal opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, marital status, veteran status or disability in admissions, employment and in all of its educational programs and activities.
Bucknell University believes that students learn best in a diverse, inclusive community and is therefore committed to academic excellence through diversity in its faculty, staff, and students. We seek candidates who are committed to Bucknell's efforts to create a climate that fosters the growth and development of a diverse student body, and we welcome applications from members of groups that have been historically underrepresented in higher education. Bucknell University is a private, highly ranked, national liberal arts institution that also offers strong professional programs in engineering, business, education, and music. Located in Central Pennsylvania along the Susquehanna River, Bucknell is nestled in the Borough of Lewisburg, an architectural gem that has been ranked as one of America's best small towns.
Advertised: 26 Jul 2017 Eastern Daylight Time