Adjunct Assistant Professor - Academic Achievement Center
Teach in the Academic Achievement Center, which includes facilitating 1 credit courses in study skills, morphographic spelling, reading, vocabulary, and math as well as assisting walk-in students with developmental reading and writing, study skills, math, and the use of educational technology.
- Master's degree in Education, Reading, English, Math, ESL, or ABE. Alternatively, equivalent graduate work in in one of these fields or demonstrated work experience
- Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to the mission of a comprehensive community college
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English
- Skill in employing Socratic (non-directive) teaching methods
- The ability to manage multiple teaching and learning activities simultaneously
- The ability to maintain high academic standards while providing a high level of support to students
- The ability to use and adapt to ever-changing educational technology
- 1 year's experience teaching students one-on-one.
- Experience teaching in a college learning center, math lab, or writing center preferred
- Experience teaching students in multiple content areas, especially reading, math, and study skills preferred
Click here for a summary of our benefit information. For a summary of our adjunct faculty compensation, click here.
Every employee of the college is expected to treat all members of the college community with dignity and respect demonstrating professional, courteous and respectful behavior and engage in constructive conflict resolution, when needed.
In accordance with the college policy, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. Individual hiring departments at JCCC may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions as part of the applicant selection/hiring process. Many departments require those selected for hire to submit a certified transcript for all degrees obtained. For full consideration, applicants are encouraged to apply prior to the review date listed in posting.
Johnson County Community College welcomes the application of any qualified candidate and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, national origin, disability, age, religion, genetic information, marital status, veteran's status, sexual orientation, or other factors that cannot be lawfully considered.
If you are an applicant requesting assistance or a reasonable accommodation in the application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 913-469-3877, or email.
For a summary of all disclosures (Background check, Clery Act, ADA, EOE, etc) refer to the links on our Career page.
Overland Park, Kansas, United States
Competitive rate of pay
Hours per Week
The following assignments are available for the Fall 2017 semester. 10:00 - 2:00 M (3 credit load) 10:00 - 2:00 W (3 credit load) 2:00 - 4:00 TR (3 credit load)
Please submit resume and cover letter