Adjunct Faculty, Spanish
The Department of Languages and Literatures offers undergraduate majors and minors in French, German, Italian, Russian, and Spanish; minors in Chinese, Japanese, and Hebrew; and electives in Arabic and classical Greek.
The Department of Languages and Literatures seeks qualified individuals to join our adjunct hiring pool for possible, non-benefited, part-time teaching assignments in Spanish at the University of Denver. Positions will begin in the 2017-2018 academic year.
Adjunct Spanish Faculty members teach 4-credit undergraduate courses at the introductory level. The specific courses involved may vary from quarter to quarter and openings to teach these courses develop on a periodic basis, depending on department teaching needs. Adjunct faculty are compensated at a rate of $4,000 per course. Adjunct faculty may teach up to a maximum of six courses over three academic quarters (Fall, Winter, Spring).
Adjuncts are expected to fulfill all responsibilities associated with teaching assigned courses, including:
- Conducting all assigned class meetings in a timely and prepared way.
- Thorough and accurate correction of assignments, providing appropriate constructive feedback.
- Prompt return of corrected work.
- Providing guidance and support to students.
- Reporting student grades and attendance.
- Holding regular weekly office hours on campus for students.
- Replying to email communication from students and colleagues promptly.
- Administering midterm course evaluations.
- Attention to students' understanding and following of DU's Honor Code.
- Fulfilling other instructional or academic duties as may be assigned by the Language Program Coordinator.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Proficient fluency in Spanish and English.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the concepts, technologies, principles and practices of foreign language instruction.
- Expertise and experience with ACTFL Standards-based teaching and assessment.
- Ability to work through email and to use MS Word and PowerPoint; ability to learn and use DU's Canvas course management system.
- Master's degree in Spanish, Education or Linguistics.
- Experience teaching at the college level (substantiated by letters of recommendation).
- Demonstrated experience or evidence of a commitment to incorporate inclusive excellence teaching methods and/or pedagogies to effectively engage broadly diverse student populations.
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until positions are filled.
Candidates must apply online through www.du.edu/jobs to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted. Once within the job description online, please scroll to the bottom of the page to apply. For questions about this position, please contact Ingrid Weyher at
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Cover letter
- Two letters of reference
- Either a link to an unedited teaching video clip of an elementary Spanish class (maximum 15 min.) or 2-3 activities or projects that reflect your teaching philosophy
Letters of recommendation and video clip links can be emailed or mailed to:
University of Denver, Department of Languages and Literatures
ATTN: Ingrid Weyher, Assistant to the Chair
2100 East Asbury, Sturm Hall 391F
Denver, CO 80208-0931
PLEASE NOTE: For non-U.S. citizens or permanent residents interested in applying and who will need immigration sponsorship for this position, please contact Marcy Cozzens, Manager of Recruiting Services at
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff and encourages applications from women, minorities, members of the LGBTQ community, people with disabilities and veterans. The University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.