Assistant Director of Youth Programs
Assistant Director of Youth Programs
Job Number: 75745
Under the general supervision of the Associate Director of Recreation Programs, the Assistant Director for Youth Programs is responsible for the creation, implementation, and administration of youth programming for the Stanford and surrounding community. Specific responsibilities include program management, training and supervision of contingent staff, oversight of operating budgets, development and monitoring of program policies and procedures, assessment and evaluation of youth programs.
Program Management (35%)
- Promote youth recreation and wellness programs to individuals through active, ongoing communications including, but not limited to, departmental talks, email distribution, distribution of flyers, website development and participation in fairs.
- Implement, administer and evaluate day-to-day operations of youth recreation and wellness program(s); solve problems and make decisions that impact the direction of the program.
- Collect and analyze data, create reports, review and explain trends; formulate and evaluate alternative solutions and/or recommend curriculum changes to achieve the goals of the youth program.
- Seeks creative solutions to problems and initiates improvements to programs, systems and services
- Ensure positive coaching is provided to individuals in youth programs.
- Develop and implement youth programs including new camps, sports leagues, clinics, learning programs, special events, and other opportunities that may arise based on the needs of the Stanford community.
- Develop and implement a youth programs calendar.
- Lead customer service contact for program (includes registering 500+ participants); responds to customer concerns and comments.
- Ensures the collection, dissemination, and organization of enrollment materials, waiver/assumption of risk forms, and any other required record keeping necessary.
- Coordination of youth programs including planning and scheduling of facilities, counselor resources, purchasing and maintaining equipment used in programs and quality assurance.
- Ensures participant accident reports, employee injury reports, and incident are maintained and reviewed regularly. Ensures recurring accidents, trends or unusual situations are analyzed and identifies probable causes of each accident and effects change if necessary.
- Contribute to the development of marketing materials and strategies, assist in planning and developing programming activities, outreach functions.
- Independently form new relationships and collaborate with various departments across campus for shared initiatives.
- Build relationships with schools, daycares, and after-school programs on campus and in neighboring communities.
- Work with the events team within the Athletic Department to help solidify and market camps and clinics.
- Ensure programs comply with all University and NCAA policies.
Budget and Administrative Management (20%)
- Oversee the operating budget for Youth Programs.
- Develop and meet revenue targets.
- Manage online registration and payments.
- Manage payroll for student and contingent staff.
- Order and manage equipment inventory for programming.
- Collect and provide quarterly and annual program and participant statistics.
- Staff Management (35%)
- Recruit, select, train, supervise and evaluate staff for all youth programs, events, camps and clinics to maximize staff recruitment, retention and professional growth.
- Develop and implement an orientation program for new staff.
- Ensure staff have all the necessary background checks, training and certifications to work with minors.
- Schedule and lead staff meetings when appropriate.
- Create and implement youth programs policies and procedures and train, as well as train staff on program expectations.
- Ensures employees are provided safety training and attend safety meetings regularly. Maintains attendance records of safety meetings
- Serve as a resource to other departments.
- Represent Recreation and Wellness and youth programs to internal and external constituencies through campus events, lectures, presentations, department meetings and professional conferences.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in the field of kinesiology, exercise science, recreation, or related field required. Master's degree preferred.
- Candidate must have a minimum of three years of experience in campus recreation programming, preferably in youth program management.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of current risk management practices in recreation settings, business skills necessary to generate revenue and balance budgets, a general understanding of marketing experience and university programming experience.
- Experience in youth and recreation programming and/or coaching.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
- Superb attention to detail.
- Experience with MS Office products and database applications.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and customer service focus.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize own work and multi-task.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and ownership of projects.
- Ability to routinely and independently exercise sound judgment in making decisions.
- Demonstrated experience working independently and as part of a team.
- Knowledge of youth programming and the requirements to maintain the safety of minors.
- Ability to direct the work of others.
- Ability to learn and understand compliance with legal, financial, and university policies and external regulations.
- Demonstrated ability to complete tasks under deadline.
- Demonstrated ability to set priorities in order to perform a high volume of detailed work with constant interruptions.
Certifications and Licenses
- CPR/AED Certification
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.