IT Specialist 3 - Desktop Support
Position type: Full-time Classified, 40 hours per week, overtime eligible permanent position.
Salary: $4,399 - $5,770/month; Range 58
Opens: July 25, 2017
Closes: August 16, 2017-Priority Review date; Open until filled
Location: Main Campus; Olympia, WA
South Puget Sound Community College seeks a highly enthusiastic, motivated and qualified individual for the position of Information Technology Specialist 3 in the IT Services division. The ITS 3 is a member of the Client Services team responsible for desktop support and reports to the Director of Client Services.
This position provides desktop support and supports and contributes to the College mission by collaborating and providing information technology resources and campus-wide technology planning to support core information and communication services and resources for instruction and administration. The ITS 3 performs consulting, programming, installation, maintenance, troubleshooting and / or technical support for college technology users. The position uses established industry standard and innovative approaches to complete assignments and coordination of assigned projects. This position requires excellent communication and customer service skills and compliance with all school policies and procedures.
Classroom, Instructional Computing and Multimedia support
- Works with faculty to determine instructional computing needs. Facilitates the setup, configuration and installation of the determined solution within the standards of College classroom setups in order to assure a stable computing environment. Installs and maintains standard, stable AV systems in classrooms, including projectors and audio systems.
- Assists in the creation and deployment of standard, stable Windows and OS X images to be used on instructional computers using industry standard tools and techniques.
- Tests customized images to ensure functionality and compatibility between hardware and software as well as testing and solving issues that arise as a result of specialized needs for classes.
- Installs and maintains audio & visual equipment, including projectors, audio amplifiers and speakers, web and document cameras and associated cabling, converters and switches.
- Performs normal maintenance on all classroom equipment to assure proper functioning proactively.
- Responds to Help Desk calls for assistance with classroom/instructional computers promptly.
General Desktop, Laptop and Device Support & Troubleshooting
- Works directly with staff to determine administrative computing needs.
- Facilitates the setup, configuration and installation of standard, stable computing environments.
- Configures software and hardware.
- Answers Help Desk calls, emails and work order requests.
- Creates and responds to Help Desk work order requests.
- Troubleshoots and fixes desktop computers, laptop computers, tablets, smart phones, printers, scanners, phones and other department specific equipment within the standards of the college.
- Finds creative solutions to address specific, department wide or college wide issues to fit within budget, maintain functionality and encourage end user acceptance.
- Assists with the re-imaging and/or updating computers as necessary.
Software Imaging and Computer Rollouts
- Assists with the development and deployment of standard, stable desktop images to support classroom and administrative workstations.
- Configures images using industry standard tools and techniques.
- Performs regularly scheduled updates on laptops and other college owned devices.
- Works with a team to roll out new classroom or administrative workstations.
- Installs and configures new workstations systems on the college network according to college standards.
- Installs and configures, upgrades, tests and maintains software applications on college workstations.
- Installs, configures, tests and maintains peripheral devices.
- Maintains accurate and current asset information in the inventory database.
- Maintains accurate and current information about retired / surplused assets in the inventory database
- High school graduation or equivalent AND two years of applicable technical experience working with technology OR equivalent education/experience.
- Excellent written and verbal interpersonal communication skills, the ability to work well with others and function as a team member.
- Demonstrated commitment to high-level customer service.
- Ability to exercise good judgment in evaluating situations, solving problems and making decisions.
- Strong organizational skills, ability to work independently and prioritize multiple tasks and accommodate numerous interruptions
- Ability to build and maintain good working relationships with faculty, staff, and students and other college departments.
- Advanced knowledge of computers and software applications, specifically MS Office suite: Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access.
- 4 years of experience in IT Services.
- Advanced skill and knowledge of IT Systems, concepts and terminology.
- A+ or ACMT certifications
Your application and these questions will be used to evaluate your qualifications. You must complete these questions to be considered for the position. Please answer the following questions on a separate sheet of paper. You may type or write your answers but they must be clear and legible and not exceed two pages total.
- You have been assigned the task of creating an image for multiple classrooms and labs where Computer Information Systems is taught, with specialized software and setups, and with several different models. Please describe your process from start to finish- What tools do you use and how do you gather information?
- You have rolled out the images for the Computer Information Systems classrooms and labs and now the faculty member is calling because there is a driver conflict on the first day of class. What do you do?
- Please describe how you will contribute to the diversity of this campus.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates may apply by submitting the following items:
- Completed SPSCC Employment Application
- Letter of formal application that specifically addresses your ability to perform the responsibilities and competencies described in this announcement.
- Resume of all educational and professional experience that demonstrates how you meet the minimum qualifications.
- Completed Supplemental Questions.
Send application materials via one of the delivery methods below- email is preferred:
Fax: (360) 596-5706
Human Resource Office
South Puget Sound Community College
2011 Mottman Road SW
Olympia, WA 98512
Applications received by the closing date may be used to fill similar vacancies which may occur over the next six months.