Director of Research Compliance
Scope of Job
Provides leadership and guidance over various compliance aspects in research, including: Institutional Review Board, Institutional Animal Care and Use Committees, Export Controls, Time and Efforts Reporting, Responsible Conduct in Research, and Conflicts of Interest Management.
Description of Duties
• Develops, directs, and implements compliance program components including faculty and staff training, monitoring, record keeping, monthly and annual reporting, program evaluation and other compliance issues that meet the applicable government and local regulations and the institution’s policies and practices.
• Develops short and mid-range plans, and conceptual designs for compliance programs.
• Works with faculty and staff to ensure research compliance with federal, state and university requirements.
• Coordinates with research program managers and administrators to develop contracts to create partnerships with industry.
• Assesses assigned area(s) functionality and efficiency and recommends improvements.
• Develops and implements the university’s conflict of interest management plan involving faculty research.
• Manages the delivery of training programs regarding Research/Sponsored Programs Agreements, IRB, IACUC, Time and Effort Reporting, Responsible Conduct of Research, Conflict of Interest, and Export Controls.
• Ensures confidentiality regarding subjects, records, and review of issues.
• Assists in development of UTRGV policies and procedures affecting contracts, agreements, and research compliance.
• Develops and fosters effective working relationships between Principal Investigator, UTRGV departments, Sponsors, and UT System Office of General Counsel.
• Participates in various committees, conferences and professional trainings.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
General supervision from Associate Vice President for Research and Sponsored Projects.
Direct supervision of all assigned staff.
Master’s degree from an accredited university in relevant discipline such Business Administration, Public Administration, Psychology, Sociology, Education or related sciences.
• Three (3) years of progressively responsible experience related to research administration, experience with federal regulations pertaining to grants, contract, and research; or
• Five (5) years of the required experience related to research compliance with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university Business Administration, Public Administration, Psychology, Sociology, Education or related sciences.
Experience in a university setting.
Use of standard office equipment
Needs to be able to successfully perform all required duties. Office Environment; some travel and weekend work is required.
Ability to read and interpret legal documents in the form of agreements and contracts. Ability to read and understand Federal and State laws and regulations and its implications to research administration. Ability to draft various types of agreements. Strong interpersonal and communication skills. Experience in developing productive relationships with all clients, both internal and external to the University community. Must have the ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing. Strong skills to negotiate agreement terms with internal and external clients.
UTRGV is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer that strives to hire without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. UTRGV takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.