Laboratory Specialist Senior
Working Title: Laboratory Specialist Senior
Position Type: University Managerial and Professional Staff
Department: Department of Neurological Surgery
Posting Date: 07-25-2017
The Department of Neurosurgery at the University of Virginia, seeks a Laboratory Specialist Senior to support the research activities of the Neurovascular Laboratory. This position will provide daily laboratory oversight to include experimental management, supervision of lab staff, expenditure management, ACUC (Animal Care and Use Committee) and EHS (Environmental Health and Safety) compliance management and coordination of laboratory meetings. The incumbent will perform animal experiments and surgical procedures, provide animal care and handling, and collect data and samples. The incumbent will also perform laboratory maintenance, provide experimentation documentation, and order laboratory supplies.
Qualified applicants must have a Bachelor's degree in Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry or a related science. A minimum of four years laboratory research experience is required. Experience in animal handling and/or small animal surgery is required. Supervisory experience is also required.
Preferred experience includes experience in stem cell research, biomarker discovery, and/or Next Generation Sequencing.
This position is restricted and contingent upon the continuation of funding.
The University of Virginia is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Ability to resolve problems.
2. Ability to work accurately with attention to detail.
3. Ability to analyze and organize work procedures.
4. Ability to collect data or samples.
5. Knowledge of analytical techniques in chemistry, biology, or related science.
6. Knowledge of general laboratory procedures and equipment.
7. Ability to plan and execute tasks or experiments.
8. Ability to manage/supervise staff.
9. Knowledge of animal handling.
E-mail a Friend: jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=82372