UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO SCHOOL OF MEDICINE
Research Associate Job Description
Neurophysiological Research Associate
Department of Physiology,
Position Number: 00657118
Nature of Work:
A research associate position is available immediately in the lab of Dr. Daniel Tollin as part of a newly funded NIH grant to investigate, improve and validate a neurophysiological biomarker for human binaural and spatial hearing function. A substantial population of individuals with audiometrically normal hearing experiences difficulty communicating in complex environments with competing speech streams, noisy backgrounds, and reverberation. Clinical identification and treatment of these individuals presents a major challenge, as current diagnoses are based on a cluster of symptoms, many of which overlap with other disorders such as attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, learning disabilities and language deficits. Specific objectives of this project are to conduct human psychophysical studies of binaural hearing ability and correlate performance with characteristics of the neurophysiological biomarker.
- Neurophysiology, Audiology, Speech & Hearing, Psychology, Neuroscience
- This position will report directly Dr. Daniel Tollin, Professor.
- Some supervision of hourly staff that are directly assisting on this project may be required
Example of Work:
- Investigate, improve and validate a neurophysiological biomarker for human binaural and spatial hearing function.
- Conduct human psychophysical studies of binaural hearing ability and correlate performance with characteristics of the neurophysiological biomarker.
- Conduct Research with the Tollin Lab and faculty from the Dept. of Otolaryngology in a new state-of-the-art testing facility that includes dedicated space for psychophysical and evoked potential (ABR/EEG) measurements and a hemi-anechoic chamber for free-field studies.
- Use data from experiments to construct models of auditory brainstem processing.
- Present work at national and international meetings. Write and submit manuscripts based on work.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience and may substantially exceed NIH pay-scales for a qualified applicant who can start immediately. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
- A PhD in Psychology, Speech and Hearing, Neuroscience, Engineering or a directly related field from an accredited institution is required
Required Competencies: Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge and skills to conduct human auditory behavioral experiments
- Understanding of human subjects rules (e.g., IRBs), consent forms, etc.
- Knowledge and skills to measure evoked potentials (ABRs, EEGs, etc.) in human subjects
- Abilities to analyze psychophysical and evoked potential data
- Previous post-doctoral experience with a demonstrated record of productivity is desired.
- Computational skills (e.g., MATLAB, Python, R, etc.)
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 10437
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20127 - SOM - Physiology
Posting Date: Jul 25, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Daniel Tollin
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00657118