Access Control Supervisor
Access Control Supervisor
Construction Specialist II
Facilities-Gen - 152000
Is this an internal posting only?
Monday-Friday, 40 hours/week, Overtime may be required
** THIS POSITION IS TO START ON OR AFTER 09/01/2017 **
The Auxiliary Services group within the Facilities Maintenance Department at the University of North Texas is seeking to hire a Construction Specialist II to join our team.
The division consists of seven Departments: Custodial Services, Grounds Department, Zone Maintenance, Utilities Maintenance, Structural Maintenance, Construction Services, and Auxiliary Services. For additional information on the Facilities Maintenance department you may visit our website at: http://facilities.unt.edu/depts/maintenance.
The Facilities Maintenance Department supports the academic, research, housing, and dining facility needs for the University of North Texas while providing responsible stewardship and efficient operation of the University's physical assets. The Facilities Maintenance team performs routine and preventative maintenance and repairs of the campus buildings and utility infrastructure. Grounds services provides an aesthetically pleasing environment for University faculty, staff, students, and visitors by maintaining all campus turf, landscapes, irrigation system, litter control, solid waste management and recycling. Facilities Maintenance maintains, repairs, constructs, and renovates University facilities and installed systems in accordance with applicable codes and regulations, and in conformance with University policies and standards.
The Facilities organization at UNT is a service provider comprised of the following divisions: Facilities Planning, Design & Construction (FPDC); Facilities Maintenance (FM) and Facilities Support & Services (FSS). We are responsible for the planning, renovation, maintenance and repair of university buildings and facilities, as well as other services playing an essential role to the mission of the University of North Texas. Facilities has over 325 employees who lead the way in caring for and operating over 170 facilities and 904 acres of landscape. Our goal is to provide world class support for the University by ensuring safe, reliable, efficient facility and utility services delivered with outstanding customer services and effective stewardship of resources and the environment. For additional information on Facilities you may visit our website at: www.facilities.unt.edu. University of North Texas Career Bands are located on the Human Resources website at: www.hr.unt.edu under the subtitle of Pay Plan.
As one of the nation's largest public universities and the most comprehensive in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, we are dedicated to providing an excellent educational experience to a diverse student body of approximately 38,000 students. UNT is a student-focused Tier One Public Research University with 12 colleges and schools offering 101 bachelors, 82 masters, and 38 doctoral degree programs, many nationally and internationally recognized. With more than 400 student organizations, NCAA Division I athletics and an array of concerts presented by our world-renowned College of Music, there's something for everyone at UNT. UNT has been named by Forbes as one of America's 100 Best College Buys® for 21 consecutive years, the state's most affordable research university, according to the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, and The Princeton Review named us a "Best in the West" university. Livability.com named Denton the 9th Best College Town in the nation.
The Facilities Department at the University of North Texas is seeking to hire a Construction Specialist II to join our team. Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
* Supervises the day-to-day operations of the University's Facility Access Control unit for residential facilities.
* Overseeing the development, implementation, administration, and maintenance of a cohesive and adaptable mechanical and electronic access control system.
* Oversees and coordinates the provision of routine, preventive maintenance and emergency access control services.
* Supervises the installations, repairs and modifications on a variety of access control boards, card-swipe devices, panic alarm devices, key pads, door alarms, electric and mechanical locks and other supportive devices.
* Reviews plans for new construction projects.
* Issues access codes and/or ID cards to staff and contractors and maintain records of all persons having electronic access to residential facilities and updates, and maintains key and electronic access database.
* Supervises the repair and replacement locks and locking devices including combination and cylinder locks on doors, cabinets, lockers, desks and padlocks.
* Makes modifications from specifications, plans or oral directions on security systems.
* Confers with supervisors, manufactures, architects or management on key systems requirements and adjustments.
* Submit recommendations on types of locks, locking devices and related requirement.
* Changes lock combinations: open locks which cannot be opened by ordinary means; cleans, replaces or repair broken or worn springs, or other parts.
* Supervises rekeying door projects, lock combinations, panic bars repairs, broken keys and foreign objects from locks.
* Maintains and adjusts master key systems, devising section, sub-master and grand master systems and their safekeeping.
* Maintains services contracts with access control equipment suppliers and installers, as needed to meet the evolving security requirements.
* Maintains central key control records and security of keys, codes, combinations and location and possession of keys; and produces printout of specific access activity as required
* Continually ensures that all access control staff are adequately trained and prepared to service security systems used in the residential facilities.
* Ensures adherence to established University and departmental policies and procedures, objectives, quality assurance programs, and safety standards.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
The successful candidate will possess a Bachelor's Degree in Architecture, Interior Design, or related area and two years of professional related experience; or any equivalent combination of experience, education, and training. The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required:
* Physical ability to access work areas which may be in confined spaces or elevated heights.
* Knowledge of appropriate safety and security precautions appropriate to work performed.
* Valid driver's license and ability to drive a vehicle, and maintain coverage under University auto insurance policy, if required to drive University vehicles.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
* Eight years in the maintenance, repair and operation of electrical and mechanical security systems.
* Electrical system and how mechanical and electrical locks operate and low voltage devices.
* Ability to read, interpret, and work from plans, drawings, specifications and oral directions and technical knowledge of repairs to electrical and mechanical equipment.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume with their online application.
** THIS POSITION IS TO START ON OR AFTER 09/01/2017 **
Is this a security sensitive position?
Driving a University Vehicle?
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Quicklink for Posting