The University Libraries at Appalachian State University seeks an E-Learning Librarian that will lead the formulation, production, and advancement of e-learning and teaching with technology initiatives that support the curricular efforts of the University Libraries and the broader campus communities.
Appalachian State University is located in the beautiful mountains of western North Carolina. The University is committed to providing a transformational educational experience, promoting a sustainable and just society, and creating global connections. The University Libraries seeks to recruit and retain a talented and diverse faculty. Candidates who are members of underrepresented populations are strongly encouraged to apply. University Libraries personnel work in a collegial, team-based environment, are faculty members, participate in the Library's instruction program, and engage in active programs of scholarship and professional service. The University Libraries offers strong support for professional development activities, including publishing, presenting, and attending conferences and workshops.
- Lead the library by providing expertise on instructional design, pedagogy, and projects that focus on blended learning, e-learning, teaching with technology, and emerging technologies in the area of instruction and information literacy.
- Identify and develop effective working relationships in the Library and across campus with individuals and groups that support e-learning activities.
- Collaborate with library and campus colleagues in the design and delivery of e-learning content in support of Library teaching and learning programs.
- Design, create, facilitate, and assess the use of online instructional materials, tutorials, and other digital learning tools for use by students, faculty, and staff.
- Maintain awareness of current trends in e-learning and actively seek out innovative technologies that facilitate or enhance library instruction and services.
- Participate in the Library’s instruction and liaison programs and provide outreach and service to faculty and students, including Tech4Teach Fair and website (http://tech4teach.appstate.edu).
- Engage in an active program of scholarship and professional service.
- ALA-accredited master's degree or equivalent advanced degree
- Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills
- Experience with technologies and tools that deliver e-learning content such as learning management systems, content authoring tools, etc.
- Demonstrated experience in instruction
- Demonstrated evidence of collaborative ability
- Demonstrated ability to manage and complete projects
- Demonstrated ability to learn new technology tools and skills
- Evidence of ability for research or other germane creative activity and willingness to participate in professional service
- An additional advanced degree in instructional design, computer science, or a related technology field
- Supervisory experience
- Programming experience
- Experience with multimedia programs such as movie editing software, audio editing, or image editing
This is a twelve-month, tenure track position and may be filled at the Assistant Professor, or Associate Professor rank. Salary and rank are determined on the basis of qualifications and experience. Information about tenure, promotion, and other faculty responsibilities is found in the University Faculty Handbook http://facultyhandbook.appstate.edu.
Appalachian State University is a constituent institution of the seventeen-campus University of North Carolina System. Located in Boone, North Carolina, the University has over 18,000 students, primarily in bachelor's and master's programs. Appalachian has both a traditional residential campus and a variety of distance education programs. Belk Library and Information Commons is a beautifully-designed and popular facility with over one million visits per year. It shares a catalog and some services with UNC- Asheville and Western Carolina University as part of the Western North Carolina Library Network (WNCLN). Additional information about the Library, the University, and the surrounding area may be found at http://www.appstate.edu.
Review of completed applications will begin Aug. 22, 2017 and will continue until the position is filled. Send a complete application comprised of (1) a cover letter addressing the required and preferred qualifications, (2) a full C.V. including education and relevant experience, and (3) the name, address, email, and telephone number of three to five references who are knowledgeable about your qualifications for this position to: E-Learning Librarian Search Committee, Attn: Sherrye Perry, Belk Library and Information Commons, 218 College Street, Appalachian State University, Boone, NC 28608; or electronically to email@example.com with the subject line: E-Learning Librarian Search.
Appalachian State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. The University does not discriminate in access to its educational programs and activities, or with respect to hiring or the terms and conditions of employment, on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity and expression, political affiliation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information or sexual orientation.
Individuals with disabilities desiring accommodations in the application process should contact Scott Rice (firstname.lastname@example.org or 828-262-8306), Search Committee Chair.
Proper documentation of identity and employability will be required before the hiring process can be finalized.
Any offer of employment to a successful candidate will be conditioned upon the University's receipt of a satisfactory criminal background report. For more information, please visit http://www.hrs.appstate.edu/employment