Grants and Contracts Specialist
University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Dental Medicine
Grants and Contracts Specialist
Position #670119 - Requisition 10401
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The School of Dental Medicine has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) Grants and Contracts Specialist position.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
The Grant and Contract Specialist in the Department of Craniofacial Biology will assist the Grant and Contract Manager in the coordination of financial and administrative tasks for the department's research activities. This position will coordinate pre-award activities and the preparation of grant and contract submissions to external Sponsors. In addition, he or she will assist in HR and post award activities. This position will also provide administrative support to other business functions within the Department.
Examples of Work Performed
1. PreAward Proposal Coordination:
(A) Prepares complex, multiple year budgets and reviews prior to submission.
- Prepares budgets for federal, state, university and private sponsors for grants, fellowships, contracts, clinical trials, and industry contracts.
- Advises PIs of budget restrictions and applicable indirect cost rates for various locations and types of proposals.
(B) Prepares and submits all subcontracts for sponsored projects.
- Prepares subcontracts and applicable standing purchase orders per established guidelines.
- Tracks routing of subcontracts from initiation to submission to recipient.
(C) Creates proposal in InfoEd system and submits for internal review and approval. Submits final proposal to the Office of Grants and Contracts (OGC) for submission to sponsor no later than internal OGC deadline.
(D) After reviewing Office of Grants and Contracts markup, edits proposals and gathers final documents from Principal Investigator. Ensures adherence to internal and funding agency guidelines.
(E) Advises investigators on sponsor's instructions regarding the application, grant budget, allowable costs, and applicable indirect cost rates.
- Keeps abreast of changes in application instructions for federal sponsors.
- Develops and maintains a comprehensive calendar that includes all grant start, end and renewal dates, as well as all report submission deadlines.
- Maintains knowledge of current and new university and funding agency policies.
- Transitions projects from Pre-award to Post-award in collaboration with the Grant and Contract Manager.
- Confirms that budget information is set up according to approved budget.
- Assists the Grant and Contract Manager with monthly review of accounts and preparation of reports.
3. Departmental Support and Procurement Coordination:
Coordinates Departmental purchases under the guidance of institutional by-laws and policies. Communicates with Departmental personnel regarding relevant procurement policies and procedures. Purchases supplies and services that support the Department's research efforts.
Prepares and uploads Procurement Card Reports for Department. Orders and purchases all office equipment, supplies and maintains appropriate inventory. This position will facilitate preparation and filing of Purchase Orders and SPOs.
4. Human Resources Coordination:
Provides recruitment assistance by submitting positions to CU Careers, submitting background requests, set-up of Institutional Orientation, submit requests for ID badging and laboratory access and office keys.
5. Event Coordination:
The Grant and Contract Specialist will help coordinate Department-related events, such as School of Dental Medicine's Research Day, and external visitors to the Department
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring range for this position has been established at $41,411 - $55,215 and is commensurate with skills and experience.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
A bachelor's degree in finance, accounting, business administration or a directly related field from an accredited college or university and one year professional level experience working with grants and/or contracts.
- Prior experience working in a University or higher education setting.
- Experience working with research grants, operations and administration.
- Experience with the University's PeopleSoft Financial and HCM systems, Concur, CU Marketplace, as well as InfoEd and the NIH eCommons portal.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to interpret existing School, University, State and Federal policies.
- An ability to manage an office in an effective and efficient manner and to plan, organize, implement and coordinate financial and administrative activities.
- Competence in establishing priorities in a diverse setting.
- Well-developed, professional skills in the areas of communication and office management, with an ability to exercise tact, diplomacy and confidentiality in a variety of situations.
- Advanced experience using Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Ability to work independently and exercise sound independent judgment, with a strong attention to detail.
- Ability to understand a variety of accounting and financial reports.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Required Application Materials: To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV/resume 3. List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references) Questions should be directed to: Shiela Otero at email@example.com
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 3-5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Application Deadline: Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Application deadline is August 14, 2017.
Job Category: Research Services
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20425 - SDM-Craniofacial Biology
Posting Date: Jul 23, 2017
Closing Date: Aug 14, 2017
Posting Contact Name: Shiela Otero
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00670119