8AM - 5PM
$44,200 - $67,500
Under the general direction of the Financial and Administrative Officer (FAO) of the Performing Arts Administration Office and under the general supervision of the Student Affairs Manager, the position provides fundamental academic advising to over 300 undergraduate majors/minors for 2 or more departments that may consist of the Departments of Creative Writing, Dance, Music and Theatre, Film and Digital Production. Under closer supervision, uses principles of developmental academic advising and knowledge of teaching and learning theory to promote academic, career and life goals in an effort to support student retention, timeliness to degree attainment, academic success, as well as intellectual and personal development.
Ability to effectively, professionally, and tactfully interact and communicate, both orally and in writing, with students, faculty, staff and visitors. Skill in independently composing letters, memos, reports, and other written communication materials using correct spelling, grammar, punctuation, composition, text editing, and proofreading skills.
Abilities in problem identification, reasoning, ability to develop original ideas to solve problems.
Knowledge of characteristics of university students and an understanding of multicultural differences.
Demonstrated computer proficiency using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel,Access) or other equivalent software, the internet, e-mail messaging, and web-based software applications and experience using an online student information system. Advanced computer knowledge with the ability to understand and learn new on-line programs.
Skills in judgment and decision-making, problem solving.
Skill in working independently and following through on assignments with minimal direction.
Thorough knowledge of advising and counseling techniques, knowledge of multiple majors, colleges, & schools.
Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a service environment that is subject to frequent interruptions and skill in setting priorities that accurately reflects the relative importance of job responsibilities.
Understanding and knowledge of teaching, learning, and human development theories.
Skill in accurate record keeping with strict attention to detail. Skill in organizing tasks, documents and materials with efficiency and accuracy
Thorough knowledge of college/school policies, procedures, and requirements.
Ability to multi-task.
Ability to relate to individuals and groups of students using communication, counseling, and problem-solving skills.
Knowledge of the applicable federal and state regulations governing areas related to the responsibilities of the position including the Federal Education Rights and PrivacyAct (FERPA) and ability to maintain strict confidentiality at all times.
Knowledge of the applicable University of California policies governing areas related to the responsibilities of the position; Ability to extract, compile, analyze, and present pertinent data effectively; Demonstrated experience with the online Student Information Systems (SIS+), CRAMS, and CIRS programs; Knowledge of the arts: Creative Writing, Dance, Music, and Theatre;
In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities'air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- Washington Monthly (August 2016) ranked UC Riverside 12th in the nation in its annual University and College Survey. \
- Education Trust placed UC Riverside 9th in the nation for closing the graduation gap between black and white students by 1.7 percentage points.
- In QS World University Rankings 2016/2017, UC Riverside's Department of Philosophy is #1 in the world for the frequency with which published papers are cited by other philosophers.
- U.S. News and World Report Survey (September 2016) ranked UC Riverside 118th overall; earns "Great Schools, Great Prices."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2016) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 to 200 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- U.S. News and World Report's Best Graduate Schools (2016) including:
- Graduate School of Education - 62nd among ranked schools
- Bourns College of Engineering - 71st among ranked schools
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview