Administrative Assistant (Administrative Support Assistant I)
Note: This is a full-time (40 hours per week), probationary, non-exempt position
Note: Multiple positions may be filled from this recruitment
The Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships support the University by administering and/or coordinating all student financial aid programs at California State University, Fresno. The office is responsible for administering federal, state, institutional and scholarship aid in excess for $220,000,000 annually to approximately 80% of the student population at California State University, Fresno.
The position provides basic clerical support to the Financial Aid Office. The position will have direct contact with multi-ethnic campus population of students, staff, and faculty, as well as parents and members of the community.
- Answer primary phone lines and greet walk-in customers in a professional and courteous manner
- Provide first line customer assistance for routine issues and forward more complex customer inquiries to the appropriate party within Financial Aid
- Provide excellent customer service on ACD phone system and at the financial aid windows
- Process mail and route to appropriate destinations
- Maintain confidentiality of all incoming documents and accessed files
- Scan and index incoming documents
- Stock financial aid documents in various areas of the office
- Work with student staff by training and providing guidance
- Send communications to students
Secondary duties of the job include:
- Disseminate accurate information in response to general financial aid inquiries
- Keep accurate records and files
- Prioritize work generated by several entities
- Exercise good judgment in proactive problem solving in those situations which can be handled directly
- Maintain a good relationship with co-workers
- Produce accurate work in the automated financial aid system
- Support the mission of the office and the university
- Work with student staff by providing training and guidance
- Other clerical tasks as assigned
Knowledge, Skills &amp; Abilities:
- Basic knowledge of applicable university infrastructure, policies, and procedures
- Working knowledge of English grammar, spelling, and punctuation
- Fundamental writing and presentation skills to effectively communicate standard information
- Use standard office equipment
- Use standard word processing and related computer software packages (Microsoft Office Suite, email, calendar)
- Identify and solve standard problems and refer more complex problems to appropriate staff
- Perform basic mathematical functions
- Respond to routine inquiries and explain standard policies and procedures to others
Education and Experience:
- Completion of a high school program or equivalent
- 1 year of recent clerical experience
- Knowledge of financial aid
- Knowledge of PeopleSoft HRIS or equivalant
- Knowledge of imaging systems
- Three years progressively responsible clerical experience
- Quickly learn new office support technology systems &amp; software packages
- Independently interpret/apply a variety of office policies and procedures procedures coupled with the use of good judgement
Applications received by August 3, 2017 will be reviewed for minimum qualifications and given full consideration by the hiring manager and/or search committee. Qualified applicants received after that date will be forwarded upon request to the hiring manager and/or search committee.
Complete the required fields on the online application, a resume, and three professional references, including telephone numbers, are required. A cover letter that addresses your qualifications for the position is also required. Full consideration will not be given to applicants who fail to complete all application requirements.
Pursuant to Executive Order 1088, reasonable accommodation is to be provided upon request from an employee or applicant with disabilities, unless doing so would impose an undue hardship on the campus. What constitutes a reasonable accommodation is to be determined by the campus on a case-by-case basis after it has received the individual's request for accommodation and engaged in an interactive process. Employees or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation should contact Human Resources directly at (559) 278-2032.
How To Apply:
To apply for this or any open position at Fresno State visit our online employment site at: http://jobs.csufresno.edu/
Pursuant to the requirements of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, any offer of employment is contingent upon verification of individual's eligibility to be employed in the United States.
California State University, Fresno, in conjunction with the CSU policy, requires that the successful candidate complete a full background check (including a criminal records check) prior to assuming this position. Failure to satisfactorily complete or pass the background check may impact the job offer or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for posted positions identified as sensitive.
California State University, Fresno annual security report includes statistics for the previous three years concerning reported crimes that occurred on campus, in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by Fresno State, and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to or accessible from the campus. The report also includes institutional policies concerning campus security, alcohol/drug use, crime prevention, reporting of crimes, sexual assault, and other matters. You can obtain a copy of this report by contacting the Campus Police Department or by accessing the following web site: http://www.fresnostate.edu/adminserv/police/clery/index.html
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. You can obtain a copy of this Executive order by accessing the following web site: http://www.calstate.edu/eo/EO-1083.html
This position may be a "designated position" in the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. The successful candidate accepting this position may be required to file Conflict of Interest forms subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission.
Other Applicant Information:
Applicants will receive confirmation of receipt of their application materials via automatic email reply. In addition, qualified applicants will receive email notification at the conclusion of the recruitment process.
It is the policy of the California State University to fill vacant positions represented by the California State University Employees' Union (CSUEU) with qualified applicants currently employed on the campus. Other applicants may be selected when it is necessary to meet the best interests of the campus by obtaining specialized skills and abilities not available from campus applicants.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
California State University, Fresno is committed to maintaining and implementing employment policies and procedures in compliance with applicable state and federal equal employment opportunity laws and regulations. Executive Order 883 prohibits discrimination and Executive Order 927 prohibits harassment, on the basis of a protected status: race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sex (including gender identity, per HR 2004-12), sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition and covered veteran status. Retaliation against individuals for complaining about these proscribed conduct, opposing such conduct, or participating in an investigation or proceeding involving such conduct is prohibited by both executive orders.
Further, California State University, Fresno's statement of commitment to equal employment opportunity principles is also found in the various collective bargaining agreements.
California State University, Fresno is one of 23 campuses in the California State University System. The University's mission is to offer high-quality educational opportunities to qualified students at the bachelor's and master's levels, and in certain applied disciplines, at the doctoral level. The current student enrollment is approximately 24,000, including a large percentage of students with diverse and culturally rich backgrounds. The University serves the San Joaquin Valley while maintaining deep involvement with the state, nation, and world. California State University, Fresno promotes student learning and community engagement through faculty scholarship and service learning opportunities in collaboration with community organizations, educational institutions, industry, business and government. The University was one of the first U.S. Colleges and Universities to be selected by The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching for its Community Engagement Classification.
Metropolitan Fresno, with a multi-ethnic population of over 600,000, is located in the heart of the San Joaquin Valley on the western edge of the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range. The campus is within driving distance of San Francisco, Los Angeles, Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks, the Monterey Peninsula, beaches, sailing, lakes, and numerous ski resorts. Fresno boasts one of the most reasonable housing markets in California and offers a wide array of locally grown fruits and produce.