Dean, College of Education
Dean, College of Education
UNIVERSITY OF MISSOURI–ST. LOUIS
A Public Metropolitan Research University
The University of Missouri–St. Louis is searching for an engaged and dynamic Dean of the College of Education. We seek a leader who fosters student competence, capacity, and imagination, who embraces the needs of diverse learners and community partners, and who navigates increasingly complex educational environments with vision and wisdom.
The University of Missouri–St. Louis has over 16,000 students and is the largest public research institution located in Missouri's most diverse, populous, and economically vibrant region. UMSL is a part of the University of Missouri land-grant system and is classified as RU–H (high research activity) and as a Community Engaged Campus by Carnegie rankings. The College of Education bridges in-school, out-of-school, and lifelong learning, nurturing educational entrepreneurs, and harnessing social innovation to transform the learner experience. The Dean of the College of Education will embrace this vibrancy as the foundation for supporting core communities, faculty research, teaching and learning, and student achievement.
The College of Education, one of eight colleges at UMSL, is dedicated to demonstrating cultural proficiency and social justice in research, teaching, and civic engagement at local, state, national, and international levels. The College consists of two Departments with CAEP, CACREP, and NASP accredited programs. Fifty-two faculty members prepare teachers, P-12 administrators, school and community counselors, educational and school psychologists, researchers, adult and community educators, program evaluators, higher education administrators, and college professors through on/off campus and online programs. College partnerships include a broad array of schools and community agencies throughout the St. Louis Metropolitan Region. The College is programmatically complex with degrees at the baccalaureate, master's, educational specialist, and doctoral level (Ed.D, Ph.D.) with an additional 12 graduate certificate programs. Our current enrollment consists of 1200 undergraduate and 1100 graduate students.The College is a member of the Carnegie Project on the Education Doctorate.
As the chief academic and administrative officer of the College of Education, the Dean reports directly to the Provost/Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs. The Dean is responsible for the College's academic quality, research productivity, strategic planning, budget management, fundraising, faculty and staff evaluations, and community/school engagement. The College values strong, transparent leadership. The Dean will inherit strong academic programs, a dedicated faculty, a mature network of community partnerships, and our best asset--a diverse student body. The successful candidate will also join a group of deans who have cultivated a strong track record of collegiality and collaboration.
The College seeks a passionate educator and innovative leader who is committed to the core of teacher education and educator professional development for our metropolitan area, while also advancing the College's missions of teaching, research, service, and economic development. The Dean will guide this strong College toward increased national prominence and service to the St. Louis region and beyond.
The successful candidate must have a doctorate, a distinguished record of teaching and learning, and intellectual and academic accomplishments appropriate for appointment as full professor in a Department of the College.
Preferred qualifications include:
- Strong leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills;
- Significant university administrative experience at the departmental level or higher with noteworthy experience in budget management and in continuous program improvement and accreditation, including NCATE/CAEP and other specialized accreditations; preference will be given to candidates with experience in P-12 schools;
- Expertise in developing diverse and inclusive learning and working environments;
- Ability to work as a state-level leader with the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education;
- Experience with promoting innovative online courses and degree programs, and supporting digital engagement with communities;
- Evidence of leadership in productive school and community partnerships that reflect an understanding of the role metropolitan, land-grant universities and public education play in a democracy;
- An enthusiasm for and proven track record of raising funds from various sources, including private donors, foundations, and government agencies;
- An appreciation and understanding of the role marketing plays in enrollment management.
How to Apply
Apply online at http://www.umsl.edu/searches/index.html
Formal review of applications and nominations will begin September 15, 2017 and continue until the position is filled. Questions about the application process may be directed to Charles Hoffman, chair of the search committee, at email@example.com.
The University of Missouri–St. Louis is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity employer, committed to excellence through diversity.