Special Assistant to the President
Reports to: President
Institution: The American University of Afghanistan (AUAF)
Location: Kabul, Afghanistan
The special assistant to the president is responsible for day-to-day communications and operations involving the president’s office, oversees communications between the university and government entities, and represents the university in contacts with USAID and the US Embassy.
The Special Assistant to the President:
- Has responsibilities for external communications from the president’s office
- Insures the clear communications from the president’s office to other university offices in order to insure coordinated and responsive operation of the university
- Oversees the president’s calendar and scheduling
- Coordinates meetings and events on campus that involve the president or other senior administrators
- Assists the president in his role as staff to, as well as member of, the university’s board of trustees, facilitating meetings of the board, preparing agendas and materials, maintaining communications and schedules, and serving as recording secretary
- Participates in regular meetings and communications with the Friends of AUAF
- Is one of the university’s principal representative to USAID, the US Embassy, Afghan ministries, and other government agencies and coordinates information to and meetings with those bodies
- Serves on and prepares the agendas for the president’s council and administrative roundtable meetings.
- Oversees and updates the university’s strategic plan and annual plans
- Participates in the conceptualizing and implementation of contracts, grants, and new programmatic initiatives with other senior administrators
- Master’s degree
- Experience in management positions in higher education institutions that function on the US model for colleges and universities
- Experience with report writing and other administrative communications
- Excellent IT and data analysis skills
- Experience working in international settings, especially in developing countries
- Demonstrated success in managing and working with people in complex organizations
- Experience interfacing with US and other government agencies
- Knowledge of Afghanistan
- Excellence in written and oral communications in English
- Ability to manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced and challenging environment
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work as a member of a team
- Demonstrated ability to work responsibly with confidential information
- Ability to solve problems and move forward positively, despite challenges
Highly Preferred Additional Qualifications:
- Working knowledge of Afghan culture, customs, and processes demonstrated by experience living and working in Afghanistan
This position is based in Kabul, Afghanistan.
To apply, please send a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include Special Assistant to the President in the subject line of the email.
This position is "Open until Filled" with preference being given to qualified applicants who apply on or before August 20, 2017.