User Services Librarian
Nestled in a beautiful valley in the Southern Tier of New York, Alfred State has a long tradition of drawing the best faculty and staff from every field. This College of Technology offers outstanding opportunities in more than 70 majors, where project-based learning, sustainability, and civic engagement are cornerstones of the curricula. When students work on real-world problems, they learn how to think, not what to think, and they learn how to be involved in their community. That is why Alfred State graduates have a 99 percent employment and transfer rate.
Our faculty is dedicated to teaching and the academic success of our students. Alfred State seeks educators who are student-centered and engage in the life of the College. Our tenure process emphasizes teaching and university service with a more flexible approach to scholarship and professional growth. For faculty interested in research, the college maintains a teacher-scholar program to support research including applied research that complements our emphasis in experiential learning, civic engagement and sustainability.
Location: Alfred, NY
Posted: Jul 21, '17
The Hinkle Memorial Library at Alfred State is accepting applications for a User Services Librarian. This is a full-time, faculty tenure track, 10-month position. Early career or entry-level librarians are encouraged to apply.
The successful candidate will be an energetic, service-oriented, creative self-starter. Primary duties are overseeing circulation and supervising student workers. Responsibilities also include library instruction, reference service, collection development, assessment, and participation in University Service and college life. MLS or equivalent required.
- Manage access services; supervision of student workers; assist in the SUNY-wide migration to a new LMS
- Assist patrons at the information desk and at library workstations, including evening and weekend hours
- Participate in library instruction, including creation of library guides, in collaboration with other librarians
- Train staff as necessary; may supervise full-time and/or part-time non-librarian employees
- Explore emerging technologies for current awareness and application in a library setting
- MLS or equivalent
- Ability to demonstrate creative approaches to public service and instruction
- Experience working collaboratively with diverse constituencies
- Working knowledge of online and print reference tools
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills, effective verbal and written communication skills, an ability to interact successfully with a broad clientele both inside and outside the institution, and a flexible approach
- Experience in new or emerging library technologies, social media access, and open educational resources
- Experience with provision of academic services to off-campus users
Pursuant to University policy, Alfred State College is committed to ensuring equal employment, education opportunity, and equal access to services, programs, and activities without regard to an individual's race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, gender characteristics, marital status, veteran status, military status, domestic violence victim status, or ex-offender status. Employees, students, applicants or other members of the University community (including but not limited to vendors, visitors, and guests) may not be subjected to harassment that is prohibited by law or treated adversely based upon a protected characteristic.
All applicants are subject to a criminal, employment, and educational background check.
Applicants interested in positions may access the Annual Security and Fire Safety Report for the College at http://www.alfredstate.edu/student-services/annual-security-and-fire-safety-report. Crime statistics are reported in accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act. Applicants may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the SUNY Alfred State College University Police Department at 607-587-3999.
All applicants must upload a resume and letter of interest.