Nestled in a beautiful valley in the Southern Tier of New York, Alfred State has a long tradition of drawing the best faculty and staff from every field. This College of Technology offers outstanding opportunities in more than 70 majors, where project-based learning, sustainability, and civic engagement are cornerstones of the curricula. When students work on real-world problems, they learn how to think, not what to think, and they learn how to be involved in their community. That is why Alfred State graduates have a 99 percent employment and transfer rate.
Our faculty is dedicated to teaching and the academic success of our students. Alfred State seeks educators who are student-centered and engage in the life of the College. Our tenure process emphasizes teaching and university service with a more flexible approach to scholarship and professional growth. For faculty interested in research, the college maintains a teacher-scholar program to support research including applied research that complements our emphasis in experiential learning, civic engagement and sustainability.
Location: Alfred, NY
Posted: Jul 21, '17
The Hinkle Memorial Library at Alfred State is accepting applications for a Collections Librarian. This is a full-time, 12 month, tenure track position (equivalent to Assistant Professor). We are seeking an energetic, creative, service-oriented team player to join the library faculty and help with the SUNY wide migration to Ex LIBRIS Alma and Primo.
This position will assist in acquisitions, cataloging, and the administration of the library management system (Ex LIBRIS Aleph 500/Alma). Other duties include monitoring emerging trends in library services, assessment, some reference service, and participation in University Service and college life. ALA accredited MLS or equivalent is required.
- Assists in the coordination of library's Technical Services Department, encompassing Acquisitions, Electronic Resources/Serials, and Cataloging/Metadata Services within the scope of the college's mission and goals.
- Collaboratively manages a staff engaged in procurement, organization, description, and maintenance of library materials in all formats and online access to information for effective discovery and delivery to library patrons.
- Coordinates the LMS with new and emerging technologies.
- Explores, develops, promotes, and assesses technologies including social media and other services.
- Trains staff as necessary; may supervise full-time and/or part-time non-librarian employees.
- Assists patrons at the information desk and at library workstations, which includes some evening and weekend hours.
- ALA-accredited MLS or equivalent is required.
- One to three years of professional post-MLS experience, preferably in an academic library setting.
- Evidence of experience working with an integrated library system (Aleph 500 preferred), with some cataloging experience.
- Familiarity with MARC format and cataloging rules including RDA, AACR2, LCSH, and LCRI.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite, HTML, and Web development tools.
- A record of working collaboratively with diverse constituencies.
- Working knowledge of standard bibliographic and other reference tools.
- Strong interpersonal and organization skills, effective verbal and written communication skills are optimal.
- The incumbent should be a self-starter interested in new library technologies and open educational resources.
Pursuant to University policy, Alfred State College is committed to ensuring equal employment, education opportunity, and equal access to services, programs, and activities without regard to an individual's race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, gender characteristics, marital status, veteran status, military status, domestic violence victim status, or ex-offender status. Employees, students, applicants or other members of the University community (including but not limited to vendors, visitors, and guests) may not be subjected to harassment that is prohibited by law or treated adversely based upon a protected characteristic.
All applicants are subject to a criminal, employment, and educational background check.
Applicants interested in positions may access the Annual Security and Fire Safety Report for the College at http://www.alfredstate.edu/student-services/annual-security-and-fire-safety-report. Crime statistics are reported in accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act. Applicants may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the SUNY Alfred State College University Police Department at 607-587-3999.
All applicants must upload a letter of interest and resume.