Metadata Services Librarian
The College of Charleston Libraries seek an innovative and engaged Metadata Services Librarian to provide their MARC and non- MARC metadata expertise to the Collection and Content Services unit of the College of Charleston Libraries. Reporting to the Head of Description and Cataloging Services, the Metadata Services Librarian will work in a team based environment to create, maintain, and enrich metadata representing the college's physical and digital collections. The Metadata Services Librarian will be responsible for creating original metadata and for complex metadata revision for materials in a variety of formats. The Metadata Services Librarian will work with colleagues in the Collection and Content Services unit, subject specialists, and digital library developers to define departmental strategies for MARC and non- MARC metadata creation. This position will play a critical role in harmonizing the college's descriptive metadata practices to maximize discovery. This is a full-time tenure track faculty appointment and carries with it the expectation that faculty will contribute significantly to the profession.
• Master's degree in library and information science from an ALA -accredited program
• Experience in metadata creation in an academic or research library or equivalent professional venue
• Knowledge of current cataloging and descriptive standards, schemas, and vocabularies such as MARC21, RDA , AACR2, LC classifications, DACS , including XML -based non- MARC metadata standards such as Dublin Core, EAD , and MODS .
• Knowledge of semantic web, RDF , and linked data
• Demonstrated day-to-day technical services, cataloging, and metadata creation/management operations experience
• Proven ability to work collaboratively, creatively, and effectively in a dynamic, complex, and rapidly evolving environment and to learn new technologies and adapt to changes in the profession
• Knowledge of trends and issues in academic libraries, scholarly communications, higher education, and publishing
• Self-motivated and detail-oriented with outstanding written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
• Experience with scripting languages, especially related to metadata manipulation
• Familiarity with cross-walking, normalizing, and transforming XML metadata
• Original cataloging experience in multiple formats using OCLC Connexion
• Demonstrated experience solving complex cataloging/technical services problems
• Working knowledge of one or more western European languages
• Demonstrated project management and successful supervisory experience
Position Breakdown by Percentage of Effort
Cataloging & Descriptive Services, 60%
• Collaborates closely with the Head of Description and Cataloging Services and the Associate Dean of Collection and Content Services on cataloging and metadata issues related to the integrated library system ( ILS ) and other systems
• Works closely with the Head of Description and Cataloging Services to establish and fulfill cataloging priorities, including determining appropriate levels of description for library materials and developing and implementing metadata standards and best practices for non- MARC metadata creation
• Assists in establishing the metadata requirements for future and current institutional projects
• Following international, national, and local standards and best practices, creates and edits bibliographic records in the OCLC Worldcat database using OCLC Connexion software
• Performs original and complex adaptive cataloging and creates metadata for materials in multiple languages and formats
• Assists in the completion of authority work and the management of the Library's authority history files
• Loads MARC records for electronic resources into the library's ILS using OCLC WorldShare Collection Manager or vendor websites
Metadata Support, 30%
• Provides staff training in MARC and non- MARC metadata creation and assists in other departmental training initiatives
• Establishes and documents processes, workflows and best practices for metadata services work including MARC record loads, non- MARC metadata creation and management, etc.
• Monitors and contributes to the development of local, national, and international metadata standards and policies
Library and College Affairs, 10%
• Actively participates on library, college, consortia, and professional committees, working groups and task forces
• Undertakes research, and/or professional development related to professional and scholarly interests; contributes to professional publications and forums.
Position Type Tenure-track
Special Instructions to Applicants
Posting Date 07/17/2017
Closing Date 08/18/2017
Open Until Filled? No
Posting Number F2016059P
The College of Charleston is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any individual or group on the basis of gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, race, color, religion, national origin, veteran status, genetic information, or disability.
Quicklink for Posting http://jobs.cofc.edu/postings/6269
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Public Job Posting
- Internal Job Posting
- Agency Referral
- Personal Referral
- Post and Courier
- Word of mouth
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Job fair
- Hiring Our Heroes (linkedIn)
- SC Works (SC Department of Employment and Workforce)
- Cover Letter / Letter of Application
- Curriculum Vitae