Business Services Specialist
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine - PreAward Core
Official Title: Business Services Professional (Entry Level)
Working Title: Business Services Specialist
Position #736083 - Requisition 10398
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The School of Medicine Dean's Office has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) Business Services Specialist position.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
Jobs in this career family provide general business operations of the organization or a combination of operational responsibilities covering multiple career families. Functions include institutional research, statistical analysis, policy development and review, strategic planning and broad unit business operations such as parking and transportation services, risk management, childcare services, real estate and property management, retail services or job responsibilities that combine fiscal, HR and operational management responsibilities.
Professionals at the entry level are responsible for exercising discretion, analytical skill, personal accountability and responsibility in a wide range of areas including academic, administrative, managerial and student services functions. Work involves creating, integrating, applying and sharing knowledge directly related to a professional field.
At the entry level, duties are limited in scope and are performed with guidance and direction from other professionals and are performed in a training and development capacity.
This position will work independently, as well as interact with a diverse group of professionals and research faculty to provide administrative and project management services and budget management, and procurement support to the PreAward Core.
- This position will work independently, as well as interact with a diverse group of professionals and research faculty to provide administrative and project management services and budget management, and procurement support to the PreAward Core.
- This position will create and implement processes to improve grant administration and financial activities within the PreAward Core.
- This role provides excellent customer service and establishes and maintains effective working relationships across the campus to represent the PreAward Core, its participating Departments, and the School of Medicine professionally and promote the values of collaboration and partnership.
- This position works closely with faculty, postdoctoral fellows and graduate students as well as grant consultants and other research administrators from the PreAward Core, its participating Departments, and the Office of Grants and Contracts to support the successful submission of grants and contracts and progress reports.
- Incumbent will create and implement reports as well as synthesize and interpret reporting data.
- Implementation of sponsored programs and financial procedures
- Facilitation of research-related communications, entry and/or calculation of research metrics.
- Purchase order management, development and implementation of external and organizational surveys.
- Creating processes for grant submissions, maintaining assignments and schedules.
- Analysis and optimization of Department profiles using custom software systems.
- Execution and management of Interagency Personnel Agreements,, web content creation and management of various databases.
- This position will complete other duties as assigned.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience.
This position is not eligible for overtime compensation
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
A bachelor's degree in business, business administration, finance, accounting , education, social sciences, healthcare administration, public administration, communications, information systems, or a directly related field from an accredited institution.
Substitution: A combination of education and related technical/paraprofessional experience may be substituted for the bachelor's degree on a year for year basis.
- One year or more of professional experience in an administrative capacity with experience exercising professional judgement and performing tasks which require expert communication skills, customer service, reporting, and the interpretation and synthesis of complex material.
- Experience working in a Higher Education environment.
- Experience working at the University of Colorado
- Experience with research grants, research operations, or working knowledge of research administration.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally.
- Highly organized with the ability to identify and set priorities to meet fiscal research-related deadlines
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and students at all levels throughout the institution.
- Demonstrated ability to produce quality work with minimal error in work output with significant attention to detail. Possess strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- Expert proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Required Application Materials: To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV/resume 3. List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references)
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 3-5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Application Deadline: Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Review of applications will begin immediately, and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Business Services
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20029 - SOM - Dean-School of Medicine
Posting Date: Jul 21, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Myra Keeble
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00736083