DIRECTOR OF ADVISING
JOB NO.: 91354-LI
Work Type: Staff-Full Time
Categories: Academic Advising, Student Services/Support, Dean, Director, Executive, Management/Supervisory
Employment Class: Limited
Position Vacancy ID: 91354-LI
Working Title: Director of Advising
Official Title: DIR, UNSPECIFIED (7)(M93DN)
Hiring Department: A190100-COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING/ADMINISTRATION/GENERAL
Anticipated Begin Date: SEPTEMBER 18, 2017
Minimum $64,000 ANNUAL (12 months)
Depending on Qualifications
Degree and Area of Specialization:
Master's degree required. Preference for degree in engineering, social science, physical/natural sciences, higher education or related field.
Minimum number of years and type of relevant work experience:
* Seven years direct experience in college academic advising, academic affairs, student services, academic program management, counselling, career development, project management or equivalent combination of education and experience.
* Experience working with students interested in STEM at college level.
* Proven ability to lead, supervise, and manage a team with a customer service focus.
* Excellent communication skills and demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with engineering faculty, staff and the wider campus community.
* Demonstrated ability to manage programmatic activities and day-to-day office operations, including setting expectations and goals for the office.
* Experience utilizing quantitative and qualitative data to evaluate program effectiveness and guide program development.
* Demonstrate a high degree of cultural sensitivity and awareness in working with students from diverse backgrounds, such as first generation, underrepresented, transfer, and other targeted populations.
* Proven experience working collaboratively and effectively with students, faculty and staff from a variety of racial, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds.
* Demonstrated experience and ability to work effectively within and for a diverse community in a responsive, sensitive and caring manner.
*Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication and organizational skills.
* Experience assessing performance of an advising function.
* Work with engineering students, including transfer and non-traditional students.
* Understanding of the engineering profession and engineering curricula, and ability to relate to engineering undergraduates and prospective students.
* Experience with budget functions associated with academic advising.
The Director of Advising provides leadership and strategic direction and oversees day-to-day operations of the College of Engineering's (CoE) undergraduate academic advising services which is comprised of 12-15 student services staff. The CoE offers 12 engineering degree programs and has over 4500 undergraduates. The director reports to the Assistant Dean for Undergraduate Affairs.
Instructions to applicants:
Applicants will be asked to upload a cover letter and resume as one PDF document.
Additional Link: Full Position Details
The University of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report contains current campus safety and disciplinary policies, crime statistics for the previous 3 calendar years, and on-campus student housing fire safety policies and fire statistics for the previous 3 calendar years. UW-Madison will provide a paper copy upon request; please contact the University of Wisconsin Police Department.
Advertised: 21 Jul 2017 Central Daylight Time
Application Close: 13 Sep 2017 11:55 PM Central Daylight Time