Career & Academic Coach
Career & Academic Coach
Requisition Number: STFR003880
Division/College: Professional Advancement Network
Location: Charlotte Campus
Full-time/Part-time: Full Time
The Northeastern University Professional Advancement Network (PAN) and the College of Professional Studies (CPS) invite applications from qualified individuals to provide graduate and undergraduate students a personalized academic and career coaching experience from point of admission through graduation and beyond. Coaches will serve a caseload of students studying locally in Charlotte and online students at other regional campuses in Boston, Seattle, Silicon Valley, or Toronto. Each coach will facilitate the development of an academic and professional development plan for students that incorporates intentional career planning and exploration, experiential learning, and engagement with professional networks and communities throughout the learner journey. Coaches act as subject matter experts to develop and consistently refine personalized, customized professional development & career plans for students, informed by and responsive to their articulated academic and career goals, skills, and abilities. Coaches will engage with students in effective practices for academic and career advising, and design and deliver programs to support the unique needs of students through one-on-one engagement, workshops, webinars, and other forms of outreach to enhance and add value to their learner experience. Coaches will also maintain up-to-date notes and record keeping of each student meeting including tracking of student academic progress and outcomes using the College's Salesforce Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system. Coaches will connect with students using multiple modalities and in ways tailored to their preferences and convenience for development, communication, professional engagement, and academic success.
Candidates should hold a master’s degree (or equivalent work experience) and have a track record of strong academic and professional performance. Candidates should possess a minimum of 3 to 5 years professional experience, characterized by increasing levels of responsibility, preferably in an academic or student affairs/student services environment, career advising, or related area. Experience in a service or leadership role such as an academic advisor/counselor/ coach/ human resources/client or customer service professional or similar capacity preferred. The successful candidate will have a passion for educating and supporting students in a higher education environment, demonstrated sensitivity to their needs, and knowledge of professional development and career advising best practices. Professional certifications in related fields considered a plus.
The successful candidate should be/have:
• Experience working with adult learners, international students, and online students;
• Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, with demonstrated ability and comfort to handle multiple tasks and projects;
• Student-centered and have a strong sense of responsibility for student success;
• Strong prioritization, time management, and follow-through skills;
• Excellent interpersonal, writing and presentation skills; foreign language skills a plus;
• Able to work collaboratively and independently in a rapidly changing and constantly evolving professional environment;
• Initiative to exercise sharp critical thinking skills and sound judgment to problem solve independently within organizational guidelines and policies;
• Innovative and creative in coming up with ideas to improve student services and enhance processes & procedures;
• Familiarity with corporate recruiting practices, hiring trends, and employment market channels;
• Ability to discern appropriate level of communication with multiple audiences and maintain confidentiality around complex and sensitive issues in compliance with applicable ADA, FERPA, SEVIS, and other applicable state, federal, University, and College of Professional Studies guidelines;
• Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office Suite tools products.
• Certification (or be willing to obtain such certification) in one or more areas directly related to the work of the position or one’s professional field, such as MBTI, career certifications, PMI, APR, etc.
• Flexible in work assignments and work hours to include some evenings and weekends.
It is highly desirable for the candidate to have:
• Passion for working with students to navigate and articulate their career paths & industry experience or expertise in the following in-demand program areas:
o Leadership and Management
o Regulatory Affairs in Science and Industry
o Government and Civic Engagement
• Up-to-date knowledge in field of academic and student affairs; interest in conducting research on effective practices in direct service to students;
• Strong technological skills and experience using various software, programs, and tools;
• Experience with Salesforce (Customer Relation Management system) and Banner mainframe database system; career advising and planning tools such as Burning Glass a plus.
Please note this position is based out of our Charlotte, NC regional campus.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: Careers@Northeastern
Northeastern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Educational Institution and Employer, Title IX University. Northeastern University particularly welcomes applications from minorities, women and persons with disabilities. Northeastern University is an E-Verify Employer.