Food Service Assistant II
Antelope Valley College
Food Service Assistant II
Total hours may not exceed 999 in a year. Total days may not exceed 100 in a year. (Days are counted regardless of # of hours worked per day)
TYPICAL DUTIES MAY INCLUDE:
• Perform a variety of duties in the preparation and serving large quantities of foods in the cafeteria; maintains food service facilities in a clean and sanitary condition.
• Prepares grills, reheats or heats a variety of foods, assuring sanitation and safety measures are observed and food is served in an appetizing manner.
• Takes food orders and prepares requested food items; serve and sells food to students and faculty.
• Supervises, trains, and provides work direction to student workers.
• Opens and closes facilities; stocks and replenishes cooking stations, grill area and salad bar; refill napkins, cups, ice, trays,
condiments and other items as necessary.
• Confers with the Food Service Supervisor regarding operations, problems, personnel, sales and other issues.
• Trains and provides work direction to student workers involved in food preparation and service and kitchen clean up; assigns
student workers according to volume and operations.
• Maintains serving and display counters in a clean and orderly manner; stocks food display cases as required.
• Fills in for Food Service Supervisor in her absence; assists with menu, catering, product ordering and receiving.
• Serves as cashier in the absence of the cashier; collects money and makes change; solve issues or issues related to cashier
operation; secures cash drawers and closes out cash registers.
• Ensures proper food production and quality control of prepared foods.
• Prepares and serves a wide variety of specialty food items for dinners, luncheons, meetings, banquets, coffees, and other special
events; assists with catering, preparation of food, set-up and serving special events.
• Operates a variety of food service equipment including slicer, chopper, mixer, fryer, oven, grill, beverage machines and others.
• Performs other duties as may be assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Any combination equivalent to: graduation from high school, food handlers certificate and two years of increasingly responsible high volume and quality food service preparation and experience.
• Principles of training and providing work direction.
• Methods of preparing and serving food in large quantities.
• Sanitation and safety practices related to cooking and serving food.
• Basic math and cashiering skills.
• Standard kitchen equipment, utensils and measurements.
• Basic record-keeping techniques.
• Oral and written communication skills.
• Methods of cleaning and maintaining food preparation and service areas, utensils and equipment in a clean and sanitary condition.
• Perform supervisory duties in the cafeteria.
• Train and provide work direction to student workers as assigned.
• Prepare, serve and sell food in the cafeteria.
• Maintain food service equipment and facilities in a clean and sanitary condition.
• Make change quickly and accurately.
• Add, subtract, multiply and divide quickly and accurately.
• Wash, cut, slice, grate, mix and assemble food items and ingredients.
• Operate a variety of kitchen equipment safely and effectively.
• Understand and follow oral and written directions.
• Lift objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
• Operate a cash register and make change accurately.
• Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
• Follow health and sanitation requirements.
• Lifting moderately heavy objects.
• Standing for extended periods of time.
• Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate kitchen equipment.
• Bending at the waist.
• Serving customers.
• Carrying, pushing or pulling trays and carts.
• Food service environment.
• Heat from ovens.
• Handling hot foods and objects.
• Exposure to cleaning chemicals and liquids.
For a complete listing and details of all open positions and how to apply, select the HR & Employment link on the AVC Web site at www.avc.edu or contact the Human Resources Office at (661) 722-6311; Voice/Relay, (661) 722-6300 x. 6360, 3041 West Avenue K, Lancaster, CA 93536.