Small Ruminant Project Assistant (Seasonal - no benefits)
The Project Assistant position is a seasonal/temporary, short-term position to assist the Extension Animal Science Specialist with development of educational materials, evaluation and programming for the Journeyman Farmer Certificate Program (JFCP) in relation to small ruminant production. This seasonal position is 40 hours per week, and runs through March 30, 2017.
Duties and Responsibilities
The primary job duties and responsibilities include:
- Assist the Extension Animal Science Specialist with evaluation of Hands-On programming applications and post-program surveys
- Assist with hands-on training and demonstration in small ruminant production techniques/methodologies, including FAMACHA scoring, foot trimming, deworming, animal feeding, castrating, etc. using best management techniques
- Collect data, including evaluation results and assist with writing results/reports
- Make and take phone calls from farmers and Program participants in a professional and friendly manner
- Review educational materials and survey results in a timely manner to suggest improvements as requested
- Performs other duties as assigned
Minimum qualifications include:
- Master of Science degree in Animal Science or related field
- Minimum of 1 year of experience working with small ruminants (goats and/or sheep)
- Skills must include the use of FAMACHA eyelid color scoring and movement and restraint of goats and/or sheep
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Ability to effective use Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word) or similar software
Preferred qualifications include:
- Two years' experience working with small ruminants (goats and/or sheep); one year experience conducting surveys, collecting data and analyzing results for reporting
- FAMACHA Certification
Regular evening and weekend work may be required and occasional travel to sites for training, evaluation or program meetings is expected. The applicant must be able to work in inclement weather outside as well as conduct work while sitting in a climate controlled office using a computer.
The applicant must be able to lift at least 50 lbs, bend, handle struggling livestock animals, and stand and walk for extended periods of time.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.