Director of Financial Aid
Saint Joseph’s University invites applications for the position of Director of Financial Aid. Saint Joseph’s is a private, independent university located on a beautiful campus on the edge of Philadelphia. For more than 160 years, Saint Joseph’s has offered students a rigorous Jesuit education – one that demands high achievement, expands knowledge, deepens understanding, stresses effective reasoning and communication, and develops moral and spiritual character. Applicants for the Director of Financial Aid should have an affinity for the Catholic and Jesuit mission, a passion for serving students and their families, and a strong collaborative nature.
Reporting to the Associate Provost for Enrollment Management, the Director of Financial Aid serves as a strategic partner and collaborative leader in the ongoing advancement of the University’s financial aid programs, policies and strategies. The Director will actively promote outstanding service from the financial aid staff of eleven professionals in support of students, faculty, staff and administration.
The Director is responsible for the integrity of all financial aid programs and will maintain accuracy in compliance as well as establish and execute policies that support the objectives, goals and priorities of the enrollment management division and of the institution. The Director will create, update and bring to life procedures and written policies that exceed the scope of regulatory compliance, assure staff knowledge and professional training, foster the continuity and consistency of office duties, and ensure effective financial aid packaging, including timely notification and delivery of financial aid funds.
Supervising a team of eleven, the Director will oversee both the Financial Aid Office and the integrated student-focused service center, Hawk Central, providing customer service for financial aid, registrar and bursar inquiries. Demonstrating strengths in leadership and decision-making, the Director will guide and mentor staff to engage effectively in daily operations, to meet all compliance requirements, to continually seek and implement best financial aid practices, and to collaborate internally within the enrollment management division to ensure the best and most efficient delivery of services.
Finally, the Director will foster appropriate collaborative partnerships with campus constituents and participate in educating internal partners, both faculty and staff, to pertinent and/or changing regulatory statutes. The Director will serve on a variety of campus committees to share knowledge and work toward the common good of the institution. In addition, the successful candidate will be an outstanding communicator who is able to write and speak clearly about complex processes to a variety of internal and external constituencies, participating in local high school information sessions and admissions events. The Director is expected to seek out and partake in professional activities and encourage staff to participate in training and professional development opportunities, including workshops, webinars and other methods of training.
Other essential duties include but are not limited to:
- Administer all federal, state and institutional financial aid programs;
- Create and execute financial aid strategies that support institutional goals;
- Package student financial aid for prospective and continuing students (undergraduate, graduate, adult and online) from all sources based on eligibility and the availability of funds;
- Create, communicate, monitor and enforce institutional financial aid policies that support compliance with federal and state regulations, NCAA guidelines, Atlantic 10 rules, donor agreements, and other governing bodies;
- Demonstrate compliance for all pertinent financial aid audits;
- Comply with all federal, state, and external reporting requirements including the FISAP, Program Participation Agreement, and other required documents;
- Provide campus constituents with customer service support in the areas of financial aid, registrar and billing;
- Create and execute affordability strategies designed to help students manage student debt and prevent loan defaults;
- Optimize the use of information systems to protect student privacy and enhance business processes;
- Monitor, project and manage all financial aid funds to prevent overspending;
- Participate in the financial aid budget creation process;
- Monitor and respond to financial aid appeals;
- Develop financial aid communication strategies using an appropriate mix of email, web and print publications;
- Oversee the design of financial aid outreach/promotional materials and ensure appropriate coordination of admissions, financial aid and external relations staff.
- A minimum of seven years of progressive experience in financial aid within a higher education setting;
- Minimum of five years of supervisory/leadership experience;
- Detailed knowledge of federal financial aid regulations;
- Demonstrated expertise in the use of financial aid information systems; knowledge of Ellucian’s Banner Financial Aid System is preferred;
- Demonstrated commitment to customer service;
- Experience with athletic financial aid, with exposure to NCAA Division I athletic aid preferred;
- Evidence of superior written and verbal communication skills;
- Possession of strong interpersonal skills and ability to establish effective collaborative relationships;
- Demonstrated excellent organizational skills and ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment;
- Understanding of and commitment to the mission of Saint Joseph’s University;
- Bachelor’s degree required with an advanced degree preferred.
SAINT JOSEPH’S UNIVERSITY:
Founded in 1851 in the Jesuit tradition of academic excellence, Saint Joseph’s University is a top-ranked Catholic University that provides a rigorous, student-centered education. With a total enrollment of 8,500 undergraduate and graduate students, SJU offers a wide-array of academic programs designed so that each graduate enters the world with a competitive resume and global perspective. This is achieved through intense academic study led by thought-leading faculty scholars, a comprehensive campus experience and robust study abroad, service-learning, internship and co-op programs. Upon graduation, nearly 100 percent of students are employed, pursuing advanced degrees or volunteering in prestigious service programs. A member of the Atlantic 10 Conference, SJU offers 20 Division I intercollegiate men’s and women’s sports. SJU alumni – over 60,000 strong - provide a powerful network that spans the globe.
Recently, President Mark C. Reed announced that SJU is the recipient of a transformational $50 million gift that will enhance the endowment, providing additional scholarship and financial aid opportunities for SJU students. https://www.sju.edu/news-events/news/james-and-frances-maguire-make-transformative-gift-50-million-saint-josephs . For more information about Saint Joseph’s University, see www.sju.edu
As Philadelphia’s Jesuit Catholic University, Saint Joseph’s provides a rigorous, student-centered education rooted in the liberal arts. We prepare students for personal excellence, professional success, and engaged citizenship. Striving to be an inclusive and diverse community that educates and cares for the whole person, we encourage and model lifelong commitment to thinking critically, making ethical decisions, pursuing social justice, and finding God in all things.
As one of America’s first major cities, Philadelphia’s historical importance and vibrant communities create a charming and unique culture. The home of Saint Joseph’s University is widely known as “The City of Brotherly Love” and it certainly is, but it is also a city of much more. The fifth largest metropolis in the U.S. is peppered with historical landmarks and world renowned museums, home to a number of professional sports teams and a medley of dining options. There are also countless opportunities to explore Philadelphia’s outdoors with a myriad of year-round festivals and cultural events, sprawling parks, zoos and aquariums. Finally, with eight Fortune 500 companies, Philadelphia is ideal for internships, networking and post-graduation job opportunities – Hawks often settle here after they graduate.
The city is conveniently located between New York City and Washington D.C. and has accommodated major events that have enriched its communities. In the past two years, Philadelphia has welcomed hundreds of thousands of visitors for The World Meeting of the Families and the papal visit – including a stop at SJU; The Democratic National Convention; and The Forbes under 30 Summit.
At SJU, we understand our Hawks have a need to spread their wings and explore. Our campus is located just a train ride away from Center City Philadelphia, allowing our students to easily access the array of culture, art, nightlife, and opportunity that Philadelphia has to offer.
For a confidential conversation about the position of Director of Financial Aid at Saint Joseph’s University, please contact Robin Reynders (Robin.Reynders@napiersearch.com) or Mary Napier (Mary.Napier@napiersearch.com). To apply, send a resume, a detailed letter of interest, and contact information for three professional references. References must include: a current or former supervisor; a current or former colleague; and a current or former direct report, or colleague best suited to represent management and leadership style if candidate has not directly supervised. Provide references on a separate document from resume. Submit all application materials by email to: email@example.com. For assurance of full consideration, submit application materials no later than August 25, 2017. Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled. All applications and candidate referrals will be considered confidential. Candidates will be notified before references are contacted.
Saint Joseph's University is a private, Catholic, Jesuit institution and expects members of its community to be knowledgeable about its mission and to make a positive contribution to that mission. Saint Joseph’s University is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to recruit, develop and retain a talented and diverse workforce.