ASSOC DIR, CAREER SERVICES
ASSOC DIR, CAREER SERVICES
Career Management Center
Associate Director, MBA Career Services Career Management Center Duke University The Fuqua School of Business
The Associate Director serves as a key leader in designing and delivering a portfolio of career services for the Daytime MBA program. The Daytime MBA program is regularly comprised of 35- 40% students from outside of the US and this position works with both domestic students and those from outside of the US. The Associate Director also plays a key role in ensuring consistency with and maximizing efficiencies between the career services offerings of the MMS, MQM and MBA programs. S/he ensures a comprehensive program of workshops, counseling, recruiting, and other services that prepares them to succeed in the global employment marketplace. Fundamental to success in this role will be proactive information sharing, collaboration, and communication across the CMC and within Fuqua. Significant work will involve not only within the entire CMC team, but also across student leadership within these programs; a variety of Fuqua departments and centers; other areas of the Duke community; and corporate recruiters and alumni. The position reports directly to the Director of Daytime MBA Career Services.
Skills, qualifications, and job requirements
• Master's degree, with strong preference for an MBA, Master in Counseling, or other relevant discipline
• Minimum of two career counseling, corporate recruiting/HR, outplacement, or other relevant experience required, over 2 years is highly desirable
• Strong portfolio of communication skills including presentation skills, with previous experience developing and presenting career development workshops and programs, and capacity to communicate information and key messages to diverse stakeholders, from senior executives to prospective students
• Extensive interaction with alumni, students and corporate recruiters is integral to the position, so strong interpersonal and team skills are essential
• Ability to conceptualize and implement programs at both strategic and tactical levels and in alignment with broader departmental and institutional goals; prior experience advancing relationships and developing opportunities for collaborative partnerships and programs
• Demonstrated initiative and follow-through to take on and bring to fruition special initiatives that may be new and without prior history, and may involve multiple internal and external parties
• Ability to diagnose and resolve complex problems and their implications within the parameters of Duke University and The Fuqua School's core values, practices, and policies and to apply those parameters to meet the needs of multiple stakeholders in resolving problems
• Demonstrated ability and initiative to see gaps in the end-to-end career services experience of these students and to fill needs or take on special projects as needed
• Must be comfortable in a technology-enabled environment, especially because communication and engagement with students will be heavily reliant upon distance technology tools
• Some travel may be required to attend relevant conferences, corporate events, and student residencies, and to meet with current or prospective employers Program and resource development The Associate Director works collaboratively with the CMC full-time staff and contract executive coaches to design and deliver a comprehensive portfolio of career services that reflects the interests and needs of Fuqua's globally diverse and distributed student body. Such programs and resources must prepare students and alumni to succeed in the competitive job market and global workplace both now and in the future.
• Designs and delivers need-based services workshops, programs, on-demand hours, and other events for students and alumni. Assess needs, plan, deliver, and evaluate a comprehensive program of career development and job search workshops for Daytime MBA students.
• Programs must be creatively designed and well-taught with the capacity to not only teach students about these subjects conceptually, but also to change their job search behaviors in a substantive, sustainable manner.
• Identify resources relevant to MBA students and their career needs, and work to make those resources available to our students.
The position also serves as the primary career resource, liaison, and strategist to students in the Daytime MBA program. In this capacity, promote and interpret the school's vision within respective areas, and ensure progress toward objectives by working closely with the entire CMC team; Executive MBA program staffs; student leaders within their respective programs; and alumni, faculty and others in the Fuqua and Duke communities whose work focuses on student and alumni engagement.
Consult with and advise students and alumni at all stages of the career transition process. Vary approach according to individual needs and concerns. Follow-up with students to determine progress and next steps. Consultations focus on topics including career path and self- assessment; career transition or job search strategy; resumes, cover letters, and other correspondence; interview strategy and skills; evaluation and/or negotiation of an employment offer; and on-the-job questions or situations.
Stay current on recruiting practices and industry trends to optimize advice to students. Departmental and administrative responsibilities As a senior CMC staff member, assume a general leadership role within the department. Diffuse difficult situations, identify business challenges and propose solutions, recognize others for their contributions, and reinforce core values and operating principles.
Design, plan, and implement appropriate opportunities for students to provide feedback on CMC programs, workshops, and services. Analyze and interpret results to identify accomplishments and improvement opportunities. Communicate resulting suggestions and actions, as appropriate, to other CMC staff and students.
Supervise and provide guidance and direction for program assistant in managing program logistics, student outreach, and day-to-day activities and responsibilities.
Upon request or as time permits, assume leadership, ownership, or responsibility for collateral assignments or special initiatives which add value beyond the immediate area of responsibility and contribute to broader departmental or institutional objectives.
Interpret and enforce recruiting policies for students at both the group and individual levels to protect the Duke and Fuqua brand. Decide upon and communicate penalties for violations as appropriate.
Contribute to effective, integrated, and well-timed messaging by the CMC through a variety of communication media - in person, at group sessions, via email, through the Web, etc.
Represent the Career Management Center, Fuqua, and Duke to corporate partners, recruiters, alumni, students, prospective students, faculty, staff, and others. In those interactions, educate stakeholders on CMC's vision and services to students and employers, including corporate engagement opportunities.
As needed, attend meetings for the Associate Dean and/or Program Director and represent theCMC in these interactions, requiring overall understanding of departmental goals and activities.
2583 ASSOC DIR, CAREER SERVICES
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status. Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a master's degree in counseling, student personnel administration or a related field.
Work requires two years of experience in a college or university career services office or directly related experience.
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.