Laboratory Assistant 2
Salary: $36,096 - $42,516
Title: Laboratory Assistant 2
Category: Management and Professional
Date Posted: 07/20/2017
Position Information: Under direction of the PI (Perring), this position will support various research projects in the Perring laboratory. The incumbent will be in charge of planting, and caring for plants that support bagrada bug colonies, glassy winged sharpshooter research in grapes, and spider mite research in dates. Individual must understand greenhouse culture and field cultivation of plants and be able to troubleshoot problems that arise. In addition, must know how to rear insects in greenhouse and insectary, including the UCR quarantine facility. Current insects being reared include bagrada bug, other stink bugs, spider mites, pink hibiscus mealybug, and parasitic wasps of the mealybug and bagrada bug. Furthermore, must be knowledgeable of date culture in the Coachella Valley.
Minimum Requirements: - Graduation from high school or a General Education Diploma and two years of laboratory experience or two years of college including courses in the natural, physical or social sciences and one year of laboratory experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience; and knowledges and abilities essential to the successful performance of the duties assigned to the position.
- Familiarity with plant husbandry, and greenhouse culturing and maintenance.
- Skilled at raising insects on live plants and biological control agents on live insects. Skill in keeping detailed records of insect rearing operations and field data. - Ability to work in extreme weather conditions like the hot climatic conditions in the Coachella Valley.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs independently.
- Must posses a valid driver's license to drive between work locations.
Preferred Qualifications: - Education or experience equivalent to Bachelor of Science degree majoring in Entomology, Agriculture, Horticulture or a similar discipline.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- General knowledge of insect and mite pests and their natural enemies. Course work in Entomology.
- Specific knowledge of bagrada bug, mealybug, spider mite, stink bug, and parasitoid rearing and their biology.
Additional Information: In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities'air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- Washington Monthly (August 2016) ranked UC Riverside 12th in the nation in its annual University and College Survey. \
- Education Trust placed UC Riverside 9th in the nation for closing the graduation gap between black and white students by 1.7 percentage points.
- In QS World University Rankings 2016/2017, UC Riverside's Department of Philosophy is #1 in the world for the frequency with which published papers are cited by other philosophers.
- U.S. News and World Report Survey (September 2016) ranked UC Riverside 118th overall; earns "Great Schools, Great Prices."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2016) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 to 200 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- U.S. News and World Report's Best Graduate Schools (2016) including:
- Graduate School of Education - 62nd among ranked schools
- Bourns College of Engineering - 71st among ranked schools
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview