Accessible Technology Specialist
Salary: $60,100 - $74,700
Title: Accessible Technology Specialist
Category: Management and Professional
Department: Student Disability Resource Ct
Date Posted: 07/20/2017
Position Information: The department of Student Special Services provides services for students with various permanent or temporary disabilities that medically, cognitively, or psychologically impede academic progress. The role of the Accessible Technology Specialist is to analyze, develop, coordinate, and manage technology-based accommodations and alternate media services for students with disabilities to ensure equal access to UC Riverside's educational programs in accordance with policy and federal law.
Minimum Requirements: Advanced knowledge of procedures for assessing and determining disability accommodation issues, including the Disability Compliance Office procedures.
Skill to communicate with instructors and other organizational entities regarding a student's accommodations and other academic needs.
Advanced knowledge of the legal framework involving accommodations for students with disabilities through state and federal laws and regulations.
Advanced knowledge of assessment, accommodation, and intervention techniques involved in employee's specialty, for example, learning disorders, mobility disability, visual impairment, etc.
Knowledge of accessible technologies, current issues, and cutting-edge developments/methods for accommodating disabilities. Knowledge of disabilities, human relations, assistive technology devices and services.
Excellent computer skills in a wide variety of assistive technology software and devices, including mobile devices, speech to text and text to speech, OCR (Optical Character Recognition), Braille, alternative media, and 3-D printing.
Skill and experience in independently researching questions and making appropriate contacts. Excellent attention to detail, strong analytic and problem solving skills.
Tack and patience in dealing with a variety of individuals.
Excellent communication skills both written and oral.
Working knowledge of FERPA and ability to maintain confidentiality.
Skill in managing multiple work streams/projects in constantly changing, fast-paced environment.
Skill in working with diverse populations.
Skills in Microsoft Office suite.
Skill and ability to conduct presentations and trainings to a diverse body of individuals.
Preferred Qualifications: Skill in establishing rapport with students and other members of the campus community, including sensitivity to the needs and concerns of students with disabilities.
Knowledge of recent case law and regulatory decisions regarding accessible technology in postsecondary education.
Skill working with multifunction database case management system.
Additional Information: In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities'air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- Washington Monthly (August 2016) ranked UC Riverside 12th in the nation in its annual University and College Survey. \
- Education Trust placed UC Riverside 9th in the nation for closing the graduation gap between black and white students by 1.7 percentage points.
- In QS World University Rankings 2016/2017, UC Riverside's Department of Philosophy is #1 in the world for the frequency with which published papers are cited by other philosophers.
- U.S. News and World Report Survey (September 2016) ranked UC Riverside 118th overall; earns "Great Schools, Great Prices."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2016) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 to 200 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- U.S. News and World Report's Best Graduate Schools (2016) including:
- Graduate School of Education - 62nd among ranked schools
- Bourns College of Engineering - 71st among ranked schools
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview