Research Data Analyst
Research Data Analyst
Job Number: 75509
***This is a one-year Fixed-Term position***
Note: Not all unique aspects of the job are covered by this job description
The Research Analyst (RA) will draw on a broad set of data and programming skills in order to accelerate and facilitate academic research at Stanford University's Graduate School of Business (GSB). Specifically, this person will work closely with leading minds on the GSB Finance faculty who are collaborating on several projects that intend to quantify the impacts of the venture capital industry on the U.S. economy.
Under minimal supervision, you will be responsible for organizing and documenting the research data, as well as for gleaning insights from it. You will extract and transform proprietary data from diverse sources into research datasets. You will also enhance these datasets by collecting and merging supplemental information from public sources. To do this, you will need to draw on versatile skills that range from designing writing simple queries and data checks to fitting simple analytical models.
- Prioritize and extract data from a variety of sources including PDF documents, annual reports, and financial databases.
- Produce reports and analyses to identify potentially problematic data, make corrections, and eliminate root causes of data integrity issues.
- Determine additional data collection requirements, as needed.
- Create complex charts and databases, perform statistical analyses, and develop charts and tables for academic publications and presentations.
- Provide data and code documentation to principal investigators and other research staff.
- Serve as a resource, as needed, for non-routine requests such as complex statistical calculations or surveys.
* - Other duties may also be assigned
Education & Experience:
Bachelor's degree and three years of relevant experience or combination of education and relevant experience.
Experience in a quantitative discipline such as economics, finance, statistics or engineering preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent writing and analytical skills.
- Ability to prioritize workload.
Preferred skills include:
- Experience working with and managing relational databases, including designing table structures and relationships.
- Strong understanding of financial concepts and experience critically examining financial statements and documents.
- Knowledge of financial databases and experience managing datasets in business/economics/stock research.
- Advanced knowledge and proficiency in Excel and either Matlab or Python.
- Prior professional experience in the venture capital or financial services industries.
- Outstanding communication skills with both technical and non-technical clients.
- Ability to work independently and manage time effectively in a fast-paced environment with unpredictable work-flows.
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in an academic environment.
- Sitting in place at computer for long periods of time with extensive keyboarding/dexterity.
- Occasionally use a telephone.
- Rarely writing by hand.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
- Some work may be performed in a laboratory or field setting.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu/"\t "_blank"";'>http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
Job: Information Analytics
Location: Graduate School of Business
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.