Job Purpose: Dacus Library seeks an innovative and enthusiastic Outreach Librarian who will promote and market Dacus Library to both current and prospective users within the Winthrop University community. This will be done by creating a systematic public face and branding for the library through publications, programs, events, and the library’s social media presence and by developing and maintaining communication channels designed specifically for each patron type.
- Plans and implements outreach programs, exhibitions, orientations and events for students, faculty and staff
- Produces regular communications and publications that promote the library resources, services and events (newsletters, brochures, pamphlets, flyers, posters, digital signage, etc.)
- Leads the library’s social media presence
- Acts as the library’s primary liaison with student life units, paying close attention to student diversity organizations and special populations
- Promotes the library’s services and resources to current and prospective students at service fairs, preview days, etc.
- Provides library orientations for new faculty/staff
- Develops annual programs, publications, exhibitions and marketing budget
- Develops and periodically updates a marketing and publicity plan for the library
- Tracks trends in library use and works with library departments to upgrade services and implement emerging technologies, for bringing library services to special student populations
- Conducts surveys, focus group sessions and market research among the library’s various user populations to assess library outreach efforts
- Participates in the library’s point of contact reference service rotation when assigned in person at the desk, including chat, telephone, and email reference assistance, including some nights and/or weekends
- Participates in the library’s bibliographic instruction program
- Participates in collection development
- Serves on library committees as elected or appointed
- Updates library hours and announcements on website, blog, and digital monitors
- Compiles reports as required
- Other duties as assigned
Required Qualifications: Master’s Degree from an American Library Association accredited program. Demonstrated understanding of library technology and electronic resources. Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Desired Qualifications: Six or more months working as a reference librarian in an academic library. Experience in library outreach and /or marketing.
Work Environment: This position requires daily contact with students, faculty, and staff on campus. This position reports to the Head of Public Services.
Employment Conditions: A twelve-month, full-time appointment with faculty rank. Salary is competitive and dependent on academic qualifications.
Background Check Statement: Winthrop University is committed to providing a safe campus community. Winthrop conducts background investigations for applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include reference checks, a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial (credit) report or driving history check.
Position Availability: August 1, 2017
Applications Timeline and Procedures:
- Application letter, evidence of responsibilities and qualifications, and curriculum vitae;
- Names, titles, addresses, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses of at least three persons who know the candidate professionally;
- Transcript and evidence of highest degree achieved.