Executive Director of the Hughes Center and Advisor to the President
Founded in 1969, Stockton University, New Jersey’s Distinctive Public University, is also one of America’s most distinctive public universities, consistently ranking among the nation’s finest educational institutions and among the top ten public Master’s institutions in the Northeast. Stockton proudly offers the academic, technological, and cultural advantages of a large institution combined with the community spirit of a small liberal arts college. Stockton is noted for combining an outstanding interdisciplinary approach to graduate and undergraduate education with all the qualities of an outstanding employer. We offer a unique vibrant working environment, a wealth of work related opportunities and outstanding employee benefits. Stockton is committed to attracting, encouraging and retaining a qualified workforce to support the mission of the University. The University is located in the Pinelands National Reserve in southern New Jersey, about one hour from Philadelphia, two hours from New York City, three hours from the Baltimore/Washington area, and 20 minutes from Atlantic City. The University’s location, active, stimulating campus life and diverse community make Stockton University a great place to work!
The William J. Hughes Center for Public Policy at Stockton University serves as a catalyst for research on public policy and economic issues facing southern New Jersey. The Center provides a forum for public discussion of policy issues to engage citizens and policy makers, frame policy issues in a manner that encourages broader civic engagement, and strengthen the voice of Southern New Jersey in public debate. The Center enjoys broad regional support embodied in an Advisory Board of prominent citizens throughout the region.
The Center also sponsors research projects designed to educate New Jersey residents and policy makers about our environmental resources, community development and citizen engagement. These projects incorporate the expertise of faculty leaders at Stockton University in collaboration with members of the Hughes Center to inspire broader citizen engagement and more effective participation in public policy matters. The Hughes Center welcomes opportunities to collaborate with organizations and individuals who lead similar initiatives or wish to engage in a partnership.
The Center is named for Ambassador William J. Hughes of Ocean City, whose distinguished career includes service in the U.S. House of Representatives, Ambassador to Panama and teaching as a Distinguished Visiting Professor at Stockton University.
Under the direction of the President, the Executive Director of the Hughes Center and Advisor to the President will serve in the following ways at Stockton:
- Create opportunities for the University to build partnerships with corporate, community and non-profit sectors that broaden the resources of and strengthen external engagement with Stockton;
- Coordinate special projects on behalf of the President, which support community connections that are of strategic importance to the University’s growth in Atlantic City and the region;
- Provide leadership, oversight and direction to all operations of the William J. Hughes Center for Public Policy (Hughes Center) to include fundraising endeavors;
- Advance support of the Hughes Center in partnership with key constituents;
- Advise the senior leadership team on issues and strategies relating to partnership building and external engagement in the southern counties of New Jersey;
- Ensure efforts to bring emergent opportunities to the campus fulfill the academic mission of the University and support the efforts of the President.
- Demonstrate, through past accomplishments and actions, the ability to support Stockton University’s diversity commitment and strong student-centered vision and mission.
- Other duties as assigned by the President.
Candidate should provide samples of work which demonstrate skills related to the position:
- A deep grasp of the cultural, economic, social, and political contexts that shape Stockton University's mission, priorities, and challenges, and shapes its successes.
- Demonstrated effective communication skills, preferably with an established portfolio of opinion writings, interviews, and presentations.
- The ability to be a public face of the university in both the media and community settings; television, radio, and print media experience is strongly preferred.
- Established relationships in the political community and corporate sector, as well as with business and industry associations, interest groups, and labor unions
- Established contacts in the national, New Jersey, Philadelphia, and New York media communities that would facilitate the dissemination of research by Hughes Center policy researchers and analysts.
- Experience facilitating institutional relationships between university constituents (including administration, faculty, staff, and students) and local, county, state, and federal lawmakers and policymakers.
- Expertise in facilitating large-scale public media events with dignitaries, writers, elected leaders
- Ph.D. required
- Candidate should have achieved rank of associate or full professor.
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Screening of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
To apply please visit: https://stockton.hiretouch.com. Only electronic documents will be accepted. Please complete the on-line application in addition to providing the following required documents. All required documents must be submitted in order for your application to move forward. You may upload documents using; Word, PDF or Videos either as one single file or as individual attachments.
- A letter of interest describing specific skills and experiences
- A current resume.
- A list of 3 references (included in the application): Name, Company, Email address and Telephone
- Samples of work which demonstrate skills related to the position.
- All offers of employment are contingent upon a favorable background check.
- Individuals with disabilities desiring accommodations in the application process should contact: Sharon Hunt, Recruitment Manager at 609-652-4384.
- In accordance with the New Jersey First Act P.L. 2011 c.70, effective September 1, 2011, new public employees in certain positions are required to obtain New Jersey residency within one (1) year of employment. Applicants must meet the requirements listed.
- Prospective employees may access the Annual Security Report for the University at www.stockton.edu/campuspolice or contact the Campus Police department at 609-652-4378 to request a hard copy of the report.
- Stockton University is an equal opportunity institution encouraging a diverse pool of applicants, visit; http://www.stockton.edu/affirmative_action. Additionally, pursuant to Title IX of the Education Amendment of 1972, Stockton University prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex (i.e., which includes but is not limited to the prohibition of sexual misconduct and relationship violence, including sexual assault and harassment) in all of its educational programs and activities.