Director of Financial Aid
The Director of Financial Aid is a dynamic and dedicated professional responsible for providing seamless operations and superior service to financial aid applicants, their families, and members of the university community. As a highly visible representative of The New School and an integral part of the Strategic Enrollment Management (SEM) team, the Director of Financial Aid establishes policies, procedures and guidelines regarding the effective and efficient distribution of financial aid among applicants and enrolled students, while meeting the institution’s enrollment, budget and net tuition revenue goals.
Reporting to the Assistant Vice President of Student Financial Services, the Director oversees and administers an annual financial aid program composed of institutional funds, Title IV aid and State grants and loans to a diverse population of Undergraduate, Graduate and PhD students. Working with a staff of 13, the Director is responsible for the smooth and efficient operation of the Financial Aid team including: training of staff, keeping current on Federal, State and Institutional regulations, engaging new and continuing students in the Financial Aid Process and assisting the Assistant Vice President in recruitment, aid leveraging and retention plans.
- Devise and implement packaging policies and procedures for awarding institutional aid and interpret and implement federal and state regulations pertaining to compliance
- Direct the analysis of students’ need and consult with and train staff to resolve need analysis issues—acting as arbiter in exceptional cases
- Direct and allocate institutional scholarship budgets, loan portfolio and student appeals, and consider the input of divisional deans in this process
- Coach staff in guiding students and families through all stages of enrollment via interpersonal counseling, publications, workshops and correspondence with a keen eye towards constituent service
- Selects, trains, supervises and evaluates a staff of 13 full-time professionals with responsibility of meeting all communication and compliance goals
- Develop and coordinate programming and advising tools related to financial aid and financing options, including Open House and orientation sessions, entrance and exit counseling, and financial management workshops
- Manages federal campus based student aid programs and coordinates the annual filing of the FISAP form and A133 Audit
- Coordinate disbursement issues with Student Accounts and other University offices
- Complete all survey instruments in coordination with the Institutional Research Office
- Serve on University committees as assigned
- Other duties as assigned
- Travel and attendance at key Financial Aid Conferences
- BA/BS required, Masters a plus
- Must be a seasoned financial aid professional with at least 7 years of progressive experience and demonstrated success working with Federal and State financial aid programs and institutional tuition discounting
- Excellent communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently, as well as part of a diverse, dynamic team of professionals
- Supervisory and administrative experience
- Excellent customer/student service skills
In addition to a dynamic and progressive work environment, The New School offers a competitive benefits package, including medical and dental insurance, retirement plans, flexible spending accounts and a tuition waiver. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and offer employee assistance services, health and well-being programs and over four weeks of vacation time per year.
Apply with us and discover the rewards and opportunities in working for a world-class, urban university.
Interested candidates must apply online at: https://careers.newschool.edu/postings/14582