Chancellor, IWU - Marion
Indiana Wesleyan University invites nominations and applications from motivated, forward looking Christians for the position of Chancellor, IWU – Marion.
THE UNIVERSITY: Indiana Wesleyan University (IWU) is a private, Christian, liberal arts university headquartered in Marion, Indiana and is affiliated with The Wesleyan Church denomination. IWU is the largest member of the Council for Christian Colleges and Universities (CCCU) and is the largest private university in Indiana based on enrollment.
THE CHANCELLOR: As a senior officer of the University, the Chancellor, IWU – Marion, will report directly to the President of the University and is a member of the President’s Executive Council. Under the direction of the University President, the Chancellor serves as the primary, executive leader with overall responsibility for strategic planning, finance, operations, staff development, and enrollment management on the Marion campus. The Chancellor, IWU – Marion casts a compelling and ambitious vision that will guide the future of the Marion campus.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides innovative, strategic, and entrepreneurial leadership that drives toward fulfillment of university priorities.
- Effectively articulates the mission and vision that inspires the Marion campus and its success.
- Works with the Cabinet for the Marion campus and other leaders in establishing the richest educational experience, combined with operational excellence, in relation to the university’s mission.
- Works closely with the Provost to support the academic vision established by the Office of the Provost.
- Provides oversight and coordination of the development of the Marion campus strategic plan.
- Creates and manages the campus budget, for each unit and area of responsibility.
- Works closely with the Vice President for Advancement to strengthen and expand relationships with internal and external constituencies, to secure the necessary resources to accomplish the University’s goals for the Marion campus. Applies creativity and ingenuity to finding new funding opportunities and models for the Marion campus.
- Develops mechanisms that enhance the recruitment, development, and retention of highly qualified faculty and staff.
- Ultimate oversight for broad‐based innovations in student success, including: enrollment, retention and completion, transfer rates, and graduation.
- Enhances engagement with the community and the world, through an international outlook and service perspective.
- Demonstrates and models a ‘continuous improvement’ mindset to drive increased operational and administrative efficiency.
- Applies leadership beyond the campus by earning support and fostering trust by the local community, while promoting the university as an ambassador.
- Exercises oversight responsibility for the University’s Athletic program.
- An earned master’s degree or other equivalent advanced degree from an accredited college or university
- At least five years of senior level experience in education, business, industry, or government
- An earned doctorate degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- At least seven years of senior leadership experience within a university environment
- Knowledge of the laws, rules, and regulations governing 501(c)(3) institutions
- Visionary leader, with passion for students and excellence in higher education.
- Understanding of the higher education landscape, combined with an international outlook and understanding of global trends and opportunities.
- Demonstrated ability to forge collaborative relationships across campus, with stakeholders at various levels.
- Ability to successfully navigate and thrive within a multi-institution context.
- Strong administration capability, involving the following demonstrated qualities: strategic, innovative, proactive, approachable, problem-solver.
- A superb communicator who is able to interact gracefully with faculty, students, staff, alumni, local community, donors, and others.
- Proven fiscal management skills, including expertise at managing budgets, raising funds, and business forecasting.
- Ability to address and manage organizational change.
- Reputation for integrity, transparency, accountability, and Christ-likeness in dealing with others.
PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS: According to Indiana Wesleyan University’s employment policy, all employees must possess a strong Christian commitment and adhere to the standards outlined in the IWU Community Lifestyle Statement. Incumbents must be in full agreement and harmony with the Wesleyan Statement of Faith, and it is strongly preferred that they either be a current member or be willing to join The Wesleyan Church.
NOMINATIONS and APPLICATIONS: EFL Associates, an executive search firm, is assisting IWU with its search for this important position. All calls and inquiries should be made through the search firm.
For more information about Indiana Wesleyan University and the Chancellor, IWU – Marion position (including application requirements), please review this document: Position Profile. If the direct link doesn’t work in this advertisement, please go to our website at www.eflassociates.com and click on Open Positions and Higher Education.
Applications will be held in confidence and should be submitted through the Consensus Search Support System – not via email. Applications should include:
- A letter of introduction outlining the applicant’s background, and qualifications for the position. (This letter should specifically address the leadership attributes and professional competencies for this position.)
- Curriculum vitae/résumé.
- Contact information (e-mail addresses are required) for five professional references, at least one of which is a person who has reported directly to you, a second who is a colleague, and a third who is an individual to whom the applicant has reported directly.
- All documents should be submitted electronically in PDF format through the Consensus Search Support System: https://highereddecisions.com/efl/current_vacancies.asp
- Committee will begin their review of all documents on September 18, 2017.
- The start date is no later than July 1, 2018.
Indiana Wesleyan University is an accredited Christ-centered academic community committed to changing the world by developing students in character, scholarship and leadership. Though diverse in our composition, IWU employees share an unwavering evangelical faith commitment, firmly rooted in a rich Wesleyan tradition and affirmed by all employees through the University's Employment Standards and Community Lifestyle Statement. Indiana Wesleyan University is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse learning community of committed evangelical Christians from all racial and ethnic backgrounds.
Confidential inquiries, questions and nominations may be directed to:
Dr. David Sallee
Senior Consultant & Managing Director
Higher Education Practice, EFL Associates
Ms. Angela Lilje
Higher Education Practice, EFL Associates