Vice President for University Services
The University of Minnesota is seeking a Vice President for University Services. The VP is responsible for creating and sustaining a safe, welcoming environment and service culture that supports and advances the teaching, research, and outreach missions of the U of M system.. The VP has leadership and oversight responsibility for six key units of operation. Collectively, these units have over 3,500 employees (2,222 FTE), annual operating budgets of approximately $416 million, and a capital portfolio of over $1 billion in active projects. This is a system-wide leadership position located in Minneapolis.
Reporting to the SVP for Finance and Operations, the VP for University Services is a system-wide officer overseeing:
- Auxiliary Services - Housing and Residential Life, University Dining Services, Parking and Transportation, Bookstores, and U Market, Printing and Addressing & Mailing Services
- Capital Planning and Project Management Responsibility spans all five system campuses and the research and outreach centers across the state. The scope of authority includes all planning, design, and construction of new and existing buildings, utility infrastructure, and master planning for all campuses across the University system.
- Facilities Management responsibility for all grounds, buildings, and utilities supporting 23 million square feet in more than 250 buildings across 900 acres on the Twin Cities campus, as well as support services for the Crookston, Duluth, and Morris campuses.
- Public Safety This unit provides the U of M system-wide community with security monitoring and access control services. The department also provides the Twin Cities campus with a professional, sworn-officer police department, student security services, and a 911 call center to advance a culture of safety.
- University Health and Safety This department monitors and proactively assesses the University’s physical environment to ensure safe and healthy working and living conditions, system-wide, for students, staff, faculty, and community neighbors. Units include Biosafety and Occupational Health, Building Codes, Environmental Health and Safety, and Radiation Safety.
- Management Services A centralized set of shared services that provide support to all University Services units. Functional areas include Communications, Human Resources, Information Technology, and Project Management. The systemwide Emergency Management unit also reports under this umbrella.
The Vice President also leads several system-wide cross-functional work teams including the Emergency Management Policy Committee, the System-wide Sustainability Committee, and the Enterprise Geographic Information System (GIS) Steering Committee.
The University seeks a visionary, strategic, and inclusive leader who is committed to the highest standards of excellence, integrity, accountability, and stewardship. The Vice President must possess a reputation for working collaboratively with internal and external constituencies, have demonstrated an ability to inspire commitment, foster innovation, deliver results, and work effectively in a highly visible and public position. Critical to the success of this position, the Vice President must understand the role of operations in a major education and research setting (or similar enterprise) and demonstrate an understanding of how operations support the education, research, and outreach missions of the University.
A baccalaureate degree is required from an accredited college or university; an advanced or professional degree is preferred. A minimum of at least eight years of experience as a senior manager in a complex organization is required. A portion of this experience must include responsibility for the organization’s overall business operation. Knowledge of and experience in public finance, human resources, labor relations, and budgeting, as well as capital planning, building design, construction, and renovation, and project management is required. Professional experience in managing a unionized environment is preferred.
A complete Position Profile and Application Information may be viewed at: https://www.scribd.com/document/352545294/University-of-Minnesota-Vice-President-of-University-Services-Position-Profile