Assistant/Associate Director of Human Resources - College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (A1700437)
Assistant or Associate Director of Human Resources
College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
(Internal to Campus)
The Assistant or Associate Director of Human Resources will oversee the college-level review of all employment processes and policy implementation (appointments, payroll, vacation-sick leave reporting, mandatory reporting and training, benefits). LAS is the largest college on campus and home to over 50 academic units with over 3,000 paid employees. This is a full-time twelve-month position. Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications. This search is internal to campus. Consideration of applications is limited to candidates who possess a current affiliation with the Illinois campus.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as the college contact for questions and concerns from units in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (LAS) regarding human resources (HR) employment policies and processes, including offers, appointments, separations, and benefits.
- Work with LAS units and Academic Human Recourses (AHR) to resolve appointment issues and to clarify policies. Recommend policy or process changes as needed.
- Perform final review and serve as final approver for all college faculty, academic professional, postdoctoral, and graduate student appointments.
- Handle HR issues (appointments, payroll, FMLA requests, exit procedures) for college administrative unit.
- Lead the LAS HR bi-monthly meetings for HR contacts in the college. Create and provide training guides for policies and procedures. Assemble and lead one-on-one training for LAS HR units when necessary.
- Serve as an active member of the College's EEO Committee, reviewing academic professional and faculty hiring.
- Oversee annual academic benefit usage reporting process.
- Assist and advise the Director of Budget and Resource Planning in the annual budget process.
- Serve as college coordinator for mandatory training programs and campus HR requests for assimilation and compliance with State University Civil Service System (SUCSS) audit.
- Create ad hoc reports using report writing tools to query the data warehouse. These reports are used by the College and departments for management purposes.
- Serve as LAS College representative on campus committees and focus groups. Attend campus meetings and trainings to keep abreast of new information regarding HR processes.
- Supervise one staff member, HR Associate for LAS Administration/LAS Shared Service Business Center.
- Bachelor's degree.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible administrative experience including academic human resources, three of which must be at the University of Illinois.
- *For the Associate Director position, a minimum of seven years' progressively responsible administrative experience including academic human resources is required, four of which must be at the University of Illinois.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with University human resources enterprise systems.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member in a fast-paced office.
- Knowledge of University of Illinois human resources policies and procedures and current University enterprise applications.
- Master's degree in human resources, labor relations or a related field.
- Understanding of underlying data structures within existing human resource systems.
Please create your candidate profile through https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload application materials through this system. To ensure full consideration, upload a letter of interest, a current curriculum vita, and names and contact information for three professional references by August 2, 2017. Start date is as soon as possible after closing date.
Nominations and questions can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Assistant/Associate Director of Human Resources - College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (A1700437)
Open Date: 07/19/2017
Organization Name: LAS Administration