Banquet Cook (As Needed)
UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO DENVER
CU South Denver location
Banquet Cook (As Needed)
Position #2531 / Requisition 10358
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
University of Colorado South Denver is leading the way in offering market responsive educational programming in the fast-growing South Denver metro area. Designed for the community, CU South Denver enriches the lives and minds of ambitious achievers through applied learning experiences, educational activities and high-quality curriculum. CU South Denver is the University of Colorado's only location providing programming and expertise from all four CU campuses (Anschutz Medical Campus, Boulder, Denver and Colorado Springs). CU South Denver's facility includes technology-equipped classrooms, an art and natural history museum, event rental spaces and a world-class catering department. CU South Denver also aligns with business industries and community leaders to develop talent for workforce success. Located one mile east of I-25 along Lincoln Ave. in Lone Tree.
This University Staff (non-classified) as-needed position works primarily in our Catering Kitchen. The as needed Banquet Cook is responsible for food production within the guidelines set by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment, the Executive Chef and management team. This position requires a high level of customer service skill, food preparation and safety, and professional approach. The as needed Banquet Cook is a part-time, as needed position and requires the flexibility to work evenings, weekends and holidays and can work a maximum of 19 hours/week.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Execute catered events as required by the Executive Chef, Events and Catering Manager, the Business Operations Director or the Vice Chancellor of South Denver.
- Prepares food for events within the guidelines set by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment, Executive and Sous Chef, the Events and Catering Manager, the Business Operations Director, and the Vice Chancellor for South Denver.
- Prepare all foods following standard recipes. Preparation of specials will be under the direction of the Executive Chef or Sous Chef.
- Observe and practice all established health and sanitation procedures.
- Ensure all products are prepared, held and served at correct temperatures.
- Ensure the proper rotation, labeling and dating of all products.
- Use the proper utensils and portions at all times.
- Maintains the work area, including all counter tops, utensils, equipment, and refrigeration in a clean and sanitary condition in accordance with state, county, and company health regulations and safety regulations.
- Keep management informed of food quantities and quality in prep, on the line and in holding cabinets.
- Coordinate orders to ensure they are cooked timely and with accuracy.
- Assist with re-stocking of all plate ware and food items as needed.
- Assist other positions when needed.
- May be assigned to work multiple stations throughout the shift.
- Implement and follow sanitary practices for food handling, general cleanliness and maintenance of kitchen and/or dining areas.
- Perform other related duties, tasks and responsibilities as required from time to time.
- Maintain cleanliness of kitchen, cafe, and food storage and service areas. Conduct regular inspections of the kitchen, cafe, and food storage and service areas and coolers and promptly act to correct deficiencies found during the inspection.
- Participate in organized training and meetings to learn new aspects related to the job and retain current information on CU, events, and general campus operations.
- Respond to requests from guests, supervisors and management in a timely, professional and efficient manner.
- 6 months experience in food preparation in a fast paced environment.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be willing and able to stand and exert fast-paced mobility for entire shift.
- Must be willing and able to frequently lift and carry food and other items weighing up to 75 pounds and occasionally greater.
- Must be willing and able to go from warm to cold climates (workstation to coolers).
- Must be willing and able to work hours that may be extended or irregular to include nights, weekends and holidays.
- Must be willing and able to work in a moderately noisy area, as the work is performed primarily in a banquet area environment.
- Culinary degree.
- Two years in food preparation in a fast paced environment.
- High level of organization and ability to manage multiple events and tasks with multiple deadlines.
- Ability to quickly and effectively meet the culinary needs of customers who use the CU Denver South location for their events.
- Flexible work style and attitude with a willingness to work as a member of a fast-paced team.
- Ability to work productively under pressure.
- Self-starting, innovative thinker who is eager to create and develop new programs and initiatives.
- Ability to be resourceful and utilize available resources in order to appropriately assist event attendees.
- Well-developed culinary skills and the willingness to stretch those skills.
- Knowledgeable of back of house operations: food, beverage, supervision, inventory and food safety.
- Knowledgeable and willingness to be trained about the resources offered and provided at all University of Colorado campuses.
- Ability to follow written and oral direction.
- Ability to work under pressure and independently.
- Ability to interact verbally and listen attentively to co-workers and supervisors.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Required Application Materials: To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV/resume 3. List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references) Questions should be directed to CU South Denver Human Resources at SouthDenverHR@ucdenver.edu
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees. The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. This posting may be used to fill multiple vacancies in the department. Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers, reference Requisition 10358. The Search Committee reviews applications and interviews on an as-needed basis. Applications will remain on file until the hiring department has an immediate need to review applications. Screening and interviews can be conducted at any point in time as the hiring department desires. Applications will remain on file for up to one year. Once a screening has occurred, applicants will be notified of their status.
Job Category: Facilities/Labor,Trades & Crafts
Primary Location: Denver
Department: D0001 -- Denver Campus - 60140 - ADM-VCSD BusOpEvent/Cater/Cafe
Posting Date: Aug 31, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: CU South Denver Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: SouthDenverHR@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00002531