Director of Public Relations
Stevens Institute of Technology in Hoboken, NJ is seeking an experienced Director of Public Relations. Stevens is on an incredible upward trajectory and seeks a hands-on Director of Public Relations to further advance the exposure of the university among multiple constituencies and external stakeholders. As part of the Division of Communications and Marketing you will report to the Vice President of the division and have access to the university's leadership team. You will be responsible for raising the public profile of the university as you support Undergraduate and Graduate Admissions (student recruitment), Development (fundraising) and the overall reputation Stevens has as a student-centric, premier research university. Among several public relations responsibilities you will focus on proactively cultivating relationships with the media to create opportunities for coverage of the university's research and student outcomes. You will have the advantage of leveraging the Stevens highly accomplished faculty and the many inventions and of innovations of the university across its four schools.
• Develop and manage effective media relations strategies that raise awareness of the university across all forms of media
• Ensure communications strategy is consistent and reflects the university's strategic vision
• Proactively conduct outreach and serves as the senior conduit to journalists, news outlets and digital media resources. Contacting national and regional higher-ed, technology, engineering, business and arts media is a particular priority of the public relations operation
• Collaborate with faculty, staff, alumni, and students to generate the most compelling, timely and marketable news offerings. Responsible for prioritization, planning, writing, content development and editing processes, including news monitoring and trend recommendations for content
• Provide media relations guidance to administrative and academic leadership
• Provide strategic direction and supervision to media relations team members
• Coordinate with the university's manager of social media and the Director of Digital Strategy & Analytics to advance multiple stories and features on the many accomplishments and innovations from Stevens
• Manage vendor relationships including freelance writers and photographers/videographers
• Provide support to public affairs and community relations needs
• Address crisis communications situations as necessary
• Manage ongoing expansion of Stevens' digital PR initiatives including blogs, social media and mobile media
• Demonstrate the highest level of integrity and professionalism as a university spokesperson
• 10 or more years' experience developing PR strategies and campaigns, ideally with at least five of those years in higher-education. Experience with non-profits and technology companies will also be considered
• A proven track record of increasing the exposure of an organization among target audiences
• Degree in a related major, including Public Relations, Journalism, English or Communications
• Experience with technology, science and research topics is required
• Passion for excellence and a curiosity for understanding the latest in technology innovations and for learning about all aspects of Stevens
• A solid understanding of the market-driven nature of news and media and the shift to new media
• An existing network of media contacts, preferably in the technology and business categories
• Outstanding verbal and written presentation skills, including experience speaking to the media as a representative for an organization
• Ability to work in a fast-paced, collaborative environment, and a willingness to occasionally work an evening or a weekend day as called for based on major university events
• Proven teamwork and problem-solving skills
• Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint and news distribution and management software
Stevens Institute of Technology is a premier, private research university situated in Hoboken, New Jersey overlooking the Manhattan skyline. Founded in 1870, technological innovation has always been the hallmark and legacy of Stevens' education and research. The university is consistently ranked among the nation's elite for return on tuition investment, career services and the mid-career salaries of alumni. Within the university's three schools and one college, 6,600 undergraduate and graduate students collaborate with 300 full-time faculty members in an interdisciplinary, student-centric, entrepreneurial environment to advance the frontiers of science and leverage technology to confront global challenges. Learn more at Stevens.edu.
Division of Communications & Marketing
General Submission Guidelines:
In order to be considered a candidate for any job at Stevens, you must submit an online application. Please attach a cover letter and resume with each application. Other requirements for consideration may depend on the job.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions regarding your application, please contact Jobs@Stevens.edu
Stevens Institute of Technology is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Accordingly, Stevens adheres to an employment policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against candidates or employees based on legally impermissible factor(s) including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, nationality, citizenship status, age, ancestry, marital or domestic partnership or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, atypical cellular or blood trait, genetic information, pregnancy or pregnancy-related medical conditions, disability, or any protected military or veteran status.
Stevens is building a diverse faculty, staff and student body and strongly encourages applications from female and minority candidates as well as veterans and individuals with disabilities. Stevens is a federal contractor under the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as well as other federal statutes.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure:
In accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act), the Department of Public Safety is required to publish an annual security report which includes statistics mandated by the Clery Act. You can obtain a copy of this report by accessing the following web site: http://www.stevens.edu/sit/police